Has UM's popularity declined?

There’s so many extra tix for UMBowl, and it has not even sold out from ticketmaster yet. I remember last time they played the CAP, it sold out immediately after it went on sale. Is it COVID? Or have times just changed? A shame they can’t even sell out an 1800 person venue outside NYC.

kris died so the band is over.

18 Likes

When you’ve got Goose and Billy Strings being all the rave, Phish tour being very well received and Umphrey’s not playing as well as they did right before the pandemic, lack of ticket sales is what you get. Just pure speculation tho

6 Likes

Pretty sure most UM fans are moving over to Fux

19 Likes

Continues to listen to biscuits 09 boards

12 Likes

Pandemic fatigue, people are tired of buying plane tickets and paying for hotels only for shows to get cancelled. That would be my guess.

6 Likes

They honestly should just call it quits and save what little bit of dignity they have left. Between the lack of jams and horrible cash grabs, this shit is getting pathetic.

7 Likes

Why buy Umph tickets when you can buy um cbd, um nfts, um hot sauce, etc….

5 Likes

It really does feel like they’ve lost a lot of momentum.

1 Like

Honestly yes. Been in a steady decline since maybe 2016 and 2020 just made it worse

1 Like

As far as the cap shows go, they were rescheduled twice, and NYC only recently opened venue doors again. For an event that gets a decent amount of out of state traction I would imagine that led to a lot of canceled plans.

Also Goose will also be in NYC that weekend lol.

2 Likes

Preach

BOOM!!!

The torch has been passed.

BUT KB NEEDS A PAYCHECK!!!

Word is they are planning to stop playing music and get in the cbd game full time.

3 Likes

I’m jumping on the Doom Flamingo/Death Kings train.

I for one can’t wait for an undersold UMBowl. More room to dance and throw shit at Sultan.

Honestly though, whenever it was that UM started playing more theaters and fake half sold arena shows, I remember wishing I’d still get the opportunities to catch them in small clubs. Looks like my wish is coming true.

UM needs to just embrace their decline. They never had a chance to get big. No amount of mind blowing light shows or epic forced peaks will turn the tides. They need to embrace that they’re a band for fucking nerds and just geek out with us.

23 Likes

Agreed. They should lean into it like moe. and play 4 nights at the Sinclair every year

10 Likes

Yes please

It’s clear that their popularity isn’t on an upward trajectory. It seems to be going the opposite direction. Sure, I bet the pandy has a little to do with it, but their product just isn’t what it used to be. This is what I don’t get. Why are they alienating their base group of fans and going away from what made them great (musically)? It’s crazy how much I used to love UM and crave new content/shows, but I don’t listen to any of their newer stuff AT ALL. If the Robot World from the other week is top tier UM these days, that’s pretty damn sad.

4 Likes