Today in Umphrey's McGee History

Y’all listen to UM on the way to UM?

One of my friends from my college touring days would never let us listen to Umphrey’s on the way to a show for fear we’d hear a superior version of a song we might hear that night. Kind of stuck with that going forward but I’m not going to knock someone else’s jam. I listen to a ton of Umphrey’s.

4 Likes

i’ll usually abstain for a few days ahead of seeing a band

3 Likes

The “wife” is a religious follower of this. No music of the band you’re seeing within a week of the show.

2 Likes

I had a couple friends with that superstition. IDGAF these days and I listen to whatever I’m feeling.

2 Likes

Everyone who enjoys UM in a way different from the way I do is doing it in an inferior way.

3 Likes

I always knew I was off somehow…

4 Likes

What an amazing back to back pair of shows! :beers:

3 Likes

Parents wouldn’t let 14 year old cole go up to Madison on a Sunday for this. Listened to it all the time tho

1 Like

:sunglasses:

11 year anniversary bump!! :beers: :+1:

2 Likes

February 21, 2014 Umphrey’s McGeeThe Riviera TheatreChicago, IL, USA

Set 1: A Mild Sedative > Plunger, Passing, The Crooked One, Cemetery Walk, Comma Later > Preamble > Mantis Ghetts > Mantis

Set 2: All In Time, The Triple Wide, Hajimemashite > Glory > Hajimemashite > Glory[1], Prowler > Intentions ClearDance Hall Days, Hangover[2] > Voodoo Child[3] > Hangover

Encore: Comfortably Numb > 1348

Footnotes:
[1] with Hajimemashite teases
[2] with La Grange (ZZ Top) jam
[3] incomplete

**Show Notes:**during the band intros before Prowler, Flight of the Bumblebee (Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov) and Highway to Hell (AC/DC) were teased and a verse of Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin) was played

Links:
UMLive

“Jimmy Stewart”:
· In Mantis: Jimmy Stewart

Giving this show a spin again this morning and this first set is way better than I remembered it being. Comma Later and Plunger were both great jams.

1 Like

First set is really great.

Plunger Outro jam is fantastic.
Crooked One has a short but sweet jam
Comma Later is killer
One of the first extended standalone Mantis jams

Second set is fun but not necessarily great.

2 Likes

Decent show. I really like the Plunger. Pretty decent 3 day run.

Happy 16 year anniversary to the best UM show I ever saw!!!

12 Likes

And the best show they’ve ever played

1 Like

Honestly that run was super mediocre IMO. First sets all 3 nights were decent and second sets were mehhh.

1 Like

I think for me at least it gets overshadowed by the previous fall riverside run, which I’m sure a ton of people were at both.

2 Likes

I decided to look at the shows and the 1st set of the last show looks rough. In gonna agree with you because, after revisiting, I really don’t know wtf i was thinking. Plunger is still dope.

February 22, 2014 Umphrey’s McGeeThe Riviera TheatreChicago, IL, USA

Set 1: Bathing Digits[1] > Phil’s Farm, Miami Virtue > 2nd Self, Thin Air, Red Tape[2] > Bad Friday, The Weight Around[3], Bullhead City[4], Night Moves[3]

Set 2: Der Bluten Kat, Just What I Needed[5], Divisions, Believe the Lie, Puppet String

Encore: Cherub Rock[6]

Footnotes:
[1] debut, original
[2] unfinished
[3] with Brendan and Jake on acoustics
[4] with Brendan and Jake on acoustics, and with Daphne Willis on vocals
[5] debut, The Cars
[6] with Jimmy Chamberlin on drums and Kris on percussion

This was the 2014 Riv show I went to (I make a guest appearance in the credits of the Blu-Ray recapping the run, waiting in line bundled up like a motherfucker because it was damn cold). Very solid Phil’s, Red Tape, DBK, and Just What I Needed was a great surprise. An even better surprise… Jimmy Fucking Chamberlin! I still find myself needing to remind myself that this sit-in actually happened. Wild.

1 Like

a day late, but my 20th anniversary of my first kris show

and week before my second kris show, the infamous joel-puke TLA (but, thats getting ahead of ourselves)

3 Likes