Today in Umphrey's McGee History

I remember hearing that show via my neighbors camping for Phish at Alpine in 04. I bought Anchor Drops immediately. Still (mostly) obsessed 16 years later.

Today marks 15 years since my first UM show at Bonnaroo 2005. Jake just goes off on JaJunk.

1 Like

Weird. This was my first show too. Looking forward to 15 more years

I was there! Bummer it was a short set, but the JaJunk and Making Flippy Floppy are both excellent. I also caught the 4-song acoustic set from the day before and afterwards met the entire band for the first time and got them to autograph my copy of Live Band Does Oklahoma (which I sadly am unable to locate these days).

I missed that short acoustic set because it was delayed when Xavier Rudd’s roadies were obviously tripping and took 25 minutes to sound check a fucking didgeridoo. We lost interest and wandered off to some other set.

3 Likes

I love that movie. The tapers are the best.

I love everything about their studio session and Claypool doing his drum set up.

15 years ago today…

07.06.2005 “SUMMERFEST” HENRY MAIER FESTIVAL PARK, MILWAUKEE, WI, USA

Set 1: Trenchtown Rock[1], Divisions, Robot World[2] > The Crooked One, Andy’s Last Beer, JaJunk

Set 2: Syncopated Strangers, Phil’s Farm[3] > The Pequod > Ahab[4] > The Pequod > Utopian Fir[5] > Mulche’s Odyssey, #5[6] > Phil’s Farm, Heart and Soul, Padgett’s Profile[7], Push the Pig[8]

Encore: Soul Food I[9]

[1] all of Umphrey’s McGee joined Keller Williams for his Trenchtown Rock (Bob Marley) encore; as the encore finished, Umphrey’s McGee began their set
[2] “Jimmy Stewart” with lyrics
[3] with In a Silent Way (Miles Davis) jam
[4] with In a Silent Way (Miles Davis) tease from Ryan
[5] second half, completes version from 07.03.2004
[6] with Michael “Mad Dog” Mavridoglou on trumpet
[7] with Michael “Mad Dog” Mavridoglou on trumpet; with It’s About That Time (Miles Davis) tease
[8] with Xxplosive (Dr. Dre) and Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin) teases, Kasmir tease and lyrics, and Lose Yourself (Eminem) jam
[9] with Jamie Masefield on mandolin; with Soul Food II jam to close

1 Like

Hands down best day of my life was this show. 18 years old and decided on a whim to drive up from Chicago with a crew after going to the Ribfest show the day before. First time ever having a crunch wrap supreme and baja blast on the way up (I think it was brand new at the time). Ate some chocolates during Keller’s encore to try and time it with Umphrey’s coming out 45 min later or so. Instead they come out one by one and play my go-to part of this show - the jam into Trenchtown Rock. Bayliss really shines on this one.

Rest of show is great, specifically the Phil’s>Pequod medley>Fir callback>Mulche’s. Love the ambient jam in Phil’s to lead into Pequod, and Mulche’s really goes off the rails here while still managing to stay type 1. Other honorable mentions go to JaJunk and Robot World. Divisions jam is long, but I never really listen back to it.

Once the Kashmir teases started coming in on PtP my mind was officially lost. 10/10 would go back in time to relive again. Only downer was our relatively sober DD got really pissed at us on the way back for throwing our crunch wrap supreme wrappers on the hood of his car.

3 Likes

You should contribute to this thread

https://the-bort.com/t/taco-bell-lifestyle-thread/2709/105

2 Likes

I listened to this show a ton when I was first getting into Umphrey’s. I wasn’t there but this one is definitely still memorable for me on tape. UM has played some damn good Summerfest shows over the years. My first one was 7/5/07 and that first set is still one of my favorites I’ve seen.

Yeah, as far as Summerfest UM shows go, this 2005 show & that ‘07 show get my vote, with 2010 being very close behind. The 2002 show holds a pretty special spot in my heart, but doesn’t come very close in terms of wow factor. 2013, 2014 & 2016 all have some great moments, but they def fall by the wayside in comparison those others. 2004 was off to a great start, but the storm/lightning put a stop to that one only a few songs in.

MKE has gotten so many great UM shows over the years. Feel very fortunate to have been at so many gems in my city.

1 Like

07.07.2013 CEFCU CENTER STAGE AT THE LANDING, PEORIA, IL, USA

Set 1: Drink My Drank > Push the Pig, JaJunk > Anchor Drops, Kabump > 2nd Self, Great American[1], Fame[1]

Set 2: Bridgeless[2] > Get In The Van, Much Obliged[1] > Lenny[1], Utopian Fir[3], Rocker Part 2[2] > JaJunk

Encore: Resolution[4] -> Soul Food II[5] > Africa

Really fun show, I miss Peoria shows, they are always such gems. Fantastic Junk, Great American & MO > Lenny w/ Stanley, and a searing 2nd jam in Fir.

1 Like

07.08.2004 BOGART’S, CINCINNATI, OH, USA

Set 1: The Fussy Dutchman, Walletsworth, Resolution > Kat’s Tune, Plunger[1], 2x2[2], Pay the Snucka

Set 2: 2nd Self, Hurt Bird Bath, Syncopated Strangers > Visions[3] > Willie the Pimp[4], Prowler > Bad Poker

Encore: Bright Lights, Big City

[1] debut, original
[2] with Feels So Good (Chuck Mangione) tease
[3] with Michael “Mad Dog” Mavridoglou on trumpet and Nick Blasky on Ryan’s bass; with Much Obliged jam
[4] with Michael “Mad Dog” Mavridoglou on trumpet and Nick Blasky on vocals

16 years ago today was my first ever Umphrey’s show! I was doing a summer internship back home in Cincinnati that didn’t give me enough work to fill my day, so while “wasting time on the Internet” I randomly decided to check out umphreys.com. I had caught a couple Phish 2.0 shows but it looked like they might be done for good and I was reading on phish.net that these were the guys I now needed to check out. They had some mp3s up on their website of live performances of Triple Wide, Tinkle’s, HBB, and the studio version of In the Kitchen from their new album Anchor Drops. Enough to wet my appetite. So I check out their tour dates… they were coming to Cincinnati the very next day. Called my friend, grabbed tickets, headed to Bogart’s to see what these guys were all about.

I was hooked from the first scale of the Fussy Dutchman opener. I remember thinking how many different genres I felt like I heard during the show. Prog, metal, jazz, country. Highlights looking back today: Kat’s Tune, the debut of Plunger, 2x2, HURT BIRD BATH, a beautiful Visions with Mad Dog and Nick Blasky into Willie the Pimp. Seriously, that HBB scorched. 23 minutes of insanity without really ever veering into a “Jimmy Stewart” or anything that takes it outside of HBB.

I had to grab some merch so after the show I stopped by the booth and was floored to discover that if I waited 5-10 minutes, I could buy a CD-R copy of the show that night. I jumped all over that, and have probably listened to this show hundreds of times since. Went back to Notre Dame and caught them a couple months later at the Mishawaka BrewCo, right after having met my future wife who ended up being a huge Umphrey’s fan! I guess I’ll have to save that story for 9/3… :slight_smile:

1 Like

gave this a listen today. nice little one-setter with an extended encore

07.08.2010 PARTY IN THE PARK, ROCHESTER, NY, USA

One Set: Plunger > Visions[1] > Plunger, The Linear > I Heard It Through the Grapevine > Andy’s Last Beer, Cemetery Walk > Utopian Fir[2] > Alex’s House > #5 > Baba O’Riley[3]

Encore: Push the Pig[4] > The Crooked One > Anchor Drops > The Crooked One > Cemetery Walk II

[1] with Roundabout (Yes) teases
[2] with Super Mario Bros. (Koji Kondo) theme tease
[3] with Allie Kral on fiddle
[4] “Jimmy Stewart” with lyrics

Support : Cornmeal

13 year anniversary of this Fri he 13th show. This one will always remain in my top 10, of 200+ UM shows that I’ve seen. Great stuff!

07.13.2007 OGDEN THEATRE, DENVER, CO, USA

Set 1: Padgett’s Profile > The Bottom Half -> How Many More Times[1] > Roulette, Much Obliged > The Bottom Half, Morning Song, Rosanna > Padgett’s Profile

Set 2: Professor Wormbog[2], Got Your Milk (Right Here), Hurt Bird Bath, FF[3] > Angular Momentum > FF > Sociable Jimmy, Believe the Lie[4]

Encore: Higgins, The Song Remains the Same

[1] one verse
[2] with Mail Package and Q*Bert teases
[3] with Killer Joe (Benny Golson) and Things Ain’t What They Used To Be (Mercer Ellington) teases from Joel
[4] with It’s About That Time (Miles Davis) teases

Notes:
pre-Trancegression Festival show
last How Many More Times 05.27.2005 (286 shows)

4 Likes

Always bummed to have missed that one, it was one month before I moved to Denver.

Fire 07 show

Have listened to that opening segment so many times. Such a fantastic show.

1 Like