8. The Bottom Half

Disc Three

1. crowd/banter
  2. E: YYZ

Notes:
with America, Fuck Yeah (from Team America: World Police) quote before YYZ
last Raymond [12.13.2003](184 shows)

1 Like

Great show! I’m so glad that UM has moved n from the Rave/Eagles, but they sure threw the fuck down in that shit hole.

This show, 11-26-03, 11-4-06, 2-11-06, 11-10-07 & 11-5-11 are all top tier.

So many highlights scattered throughout all of those shows.

2 Likes

2/10/06 and 11/4/06 are firmly in my top 5 UM shows seen. The Rave delivered for so long.

One day late but happy anniversary to the first ever Des Moines show, and without Bayliss to boot. “Intro” is a wife soup stew with the song debut only two months away. First rendition of Johnny Cash Divisions, and it was pretty interesting hearing Jake, Kris and Joel try and to sing Brendan’s parts and changeup some lyrics. Are there any other shows without Bayliss out there?

04.18.2003 Bacchanalia Festival Drake Univerisity, Des Moines, Iowa, USA

One Set: Intro [1] > Mulche’s Odyssey, Chevrolet > In The Kitchen [2] > Front Porch [3] > Space Funk Booty, Divisions [4], Rainbow Country > Syncopated Strangers [5], Kabump > Kat’s Tune, Ringo, Dump City, Blue Echo [6] -> Licking Stick [7] > Pay the Snucka [8]

Encore: Willie the Pimp [9]

[1] with Voodoo Chile (Jimi Hendrix) tease
[2] with Kris on vocals, lyric changes referencing the absence of Brendan, and Paradise City (Guns N’ Roses) tease
[3] with Joel on vocals; with lyric changes referencing the absence of Brendan
[4] with Jake on vocals; “Johnny Cash version;” with Woody Woodpecker theme (George Tibbles and Ramey Idriss) tease from Jake
[5] with Joel on vocals for last verse
[6] with Linus and Lucy (Vince Guaraldi) and Get Ready for This (2 Unlimited) teases from Joel
[7] debut, James Brown
[8] part III only; with Thunderstruck (AC/DC) tease from Joel
[9] with Born Under a Bad Sign (Albert King) jam and quote

Notes:
entire show without Brendan
with In Da Club (50 Cent) quote after Kat’s Tune

https://archive.org/details/um2003-04-18.shnf

1 Like

OG UM Bowl 10 Year Anniversary bump!

1 Like

Is that the one with En la Cucina?

Pretty sure that was II. That one opened hot with that, Bonafide Lovin’, and the Daft Punk-esque jam.

UM Bowl I had the acoustic HBB in set 1, Muffburger Sandwich and Muff II, the choppier S2 set because they would switch frequently from idea to idea instead of letting them breathe a little bit more.

My first post on the new bort.
15 years ago today. One of the the most fun I’ve had at a show. Show ended about 645 am to walk out into a bright, hot NOLA morning. Highlights:
Set I intro jam through Resolution
An early Believe the Lie
Short but sweet Bridgeless
Set II intro jam with sitar
Ringo Red Baron with sax

Wish this was up on Nugs, which I just signed up for yesterday. Thanks for the heads up on the $20 deal. Luckily still have the original Umlive.

04.30.2005 Tipitina’s Uptown - New Orleans, LA

Set 1: Intro > Kabump > Resolution[1] > 40’s Theme, Believe the Lie, Much Obliged > Bridgeless, Partyin’ Peeps, Baba O’Riley

Set 2: Intro[2], Push the Pig > JaJunk, Blue Echo[3] > Ringo[4] > Red Baron[4] > Ringo > The Triple Wide > Hangover[5], Mulche’s Odyssey

Encore: Bright Lights, Big City[4] > Syncopated Strangers, Waiting Room

Notes:
[1] with Nothing Too Fancy teases
[2] with Gabby La La on sitar; with Norwegian Wood (The Beatles) jams
[3] with Top Gun Anthem (Faltermeyer & Stevens) tease
[4] with Topaz on saxophone
[5] with Cocaine (J.J. Cale) tease
Jazz Fest Late-Night Show
with You Shook Me All Night Long (AC/DC) tease before Partyin’ Peeps

Support : Gabby La La playing between sets

3 Likes

17 years gone (WTF??) UM’s first Red Barn show. EPIC.

https://archive.org/details/um2003-05-25.matrix.shnf/um2003-05-25d1t06.shn

05.25.2003 “Summer Camp Music Festival” Three Sisters Park, Chillicothe, IL, USA
One Set: Miss Tinkle’s Overture > Mulche’s Odyssey, Resolution > 2x2[1], Dump City, Ringo[2], 40’s Theme[3], The Triple Wide[4] > Andy’s Last Beer[5], Rock and Roll Ain’t Noise Pollution[6] > JaJunk[7] > Thunderstruck[8] > JaJunk > One[9] > JaJunk -> The Crooked One, Nothing Too Fancy[10], Mercedes Benz[11], Solfegietto[12], Syncopated Strangers[13]

Encore: Last Man Swerving[14]
[1] with Feels So Good (Chuck Mangione) tease
[2] with Oteil Burbridge on bass, Al Schnier on melotron/synth, Jim Loughlin on percussion, an It’s About That Time (Miles Davis jam), Chuck Garvey and Mark Kimbrell on guitar, Vinnie Amico on drums
[3] with Ain’t No Fun (If the Homies Can’t Have None) (Snoop Dogg) quote from Brendan and Let Me Blow Ya Mind (Eve) teases
[4] with Meat (moe.) jam and Entrance of the Gladiators (Julius Fučík) and Rock and Roll Ain’t Noise Pollution (AC/DC) teases
[5] with Sweet Child o’ Mine (Guns N’ Roses) tease
[6] debut, AC/DC; just one verse
[7] with Thunderstruck (AC/DC), Ain’t Talkin’ 'bout Love (Van Halen), and Unchained (Van Halen) teases
[8] debut, AC/DC; two minutes were played and sung
[9] one verse only
[10] with jam featuring with Ian Goldberg on bass, replacing Ryan
[11] Elliot Peck only
[12] Joel only, around one minute in length
[13] with a section dedicated to Arnold Schwarzenegger quotes
[14] began with Panama (Van Halen) tease
Notes:
This show took place at The Barn. During Ringo, Oteil Burbridge replaced Ryan on bass. At one point, all of Umphrey’s left the stage before returning to finish the song.
with Entrance of the Gladiators (Julius Fučík) and Woody Woodpecker theme (George Tibbles and Ramey Idriss) teases post Dump City
with I Know A Little (Lynyrd Skynyrd) tease before Nothing Too Fancy

1 Like

Wow. Gonna give that a spin for sure, must’ve been incredible live.

Came here for obligatory anniversary bump of epic S’Camp Red Tape, which is certainly req’d listening. Don’t sleep on the 1348 before it either.

05.27.2004 SHANK HALL, MILWAUKEE, WI, USA

Set 1: Intro[1] > Der Bluten Kat, Bright Lights, Big City[2], Walletsworth, Uncle Wally[3], Ocean Billy

Set 2: JaJunk > Q*Bert[4] > JaJunk > Big Bottom > JaJunk > Ringo[5], Pooh Doggie[6] > Kimble, Bridgeless, Nopener[7], 40’s Theme[8] > Dough Bro > Late in the Evening

[1] with “Tapers appreciation” rap; with a No Ordinary Love (Sade) theme
[2] ended with The Fuzz jam
[3] remixed; introduced as their attempt at a dance remix
[4] with Linus and Lucy (Vince Guaraldi) jam along with March of the Winkies (Wizard of Oz) tease
[5] Jake began by singing the lyrics backwards, repeating “Ognir,” and then played the song in reverse
[6] Right Now (Van Halen) jammed with the Pooh Doggie theme; with Push the Pig tease
[7] “lounge version”
[8] with Right Now (Van Halen) tease; ended with bass solo by Ryan, lasting from when the rest of the band left the stage until they returned for Dough Bro

Notes:
Tapers Appreciation Night
last Late in the Evening 03.17.2001 (493 shows)

3 Likes

This show is definitely on Nugs. And it’s a really fun listen.

I’m a day late, but the memory’s forever. 2012 Wakarusa fell right after my and Beck’s 35th wedding anniversary, so we extended our celebration through the festival. Unbeknownst to me, beck had emailed the band and made a special request for one of my all-time favorite songs: Senor Mouse. She never heard back and didn’t know if they’d be able to honor her request until this (see video) happened. She turned to me with a smile and said, simply, “Happy Anniversary.”
me - holding back tears and sobs of joy: “I’m gonna start crying.”
She (laughing): You better not.
so I danced instead, and watched the lanterns float through the sky and and lost myself in a world of pure joy and bliss. (yes, i’d serendipitously dosed on some owsley-on-his-bicycle blotter, but it mainly enhanced the experience rather than define it. )
The moment has passed, like all others.
Love is real and it perseveres. Made it to 43 years last week - cheers!
May you all find love so big and real as that which rules my world.
UMPHLOVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R8arDZEpNs

12 Likes

Beautiful man congrats on holding it together with her so long. Fighting the winds of entropy :raised_hands:

1 Like

This smoking show happened 15 years ago today. It was a really fiery show & the Barrymore was so f’n hot inside that night…

06.03.2005 THE BARRYMORE THEATRE, MADISON, WI, USA

Set 1: Andy’s Last Beer > Uncle Wally > Andy’s Last Beer, Women Wine and Song > A Go Go, Phil’s Farm > Glory > Anchor Drops, Partyin’ Peeps

Set 2: The Triple Wide -> 2x2, Black Sabbath > War Pigs > Hurt Bird Bath[1], Example 1[2], 40’s Theme

Encore: Soul Food I[3] > In the Hall of the Mountain King

[1] with Muffburger Sandwich, Music for a Found Harmonium (Patrick Street), and Ringo teases
[2] with Chris Clemente on bass and Brian Felix on keys for jam
[3] with teases, including Muffburger Sandwich

:metal:

2 Likes

thanks, man. these days i got nothing but gratutude. entropy has time on its side, but love owns the moment. and that’s all we really have.

1 Like

Happy Sweet 16 to the legendary 2004 Bonnaroo Late Night set!

One Set: Walletsworth, Resolution > Wife Soup, Nothing Too Fancy, Bright Lights, Big City > Prowler > Glory > Ocean Billy > The Triple Wide > Jam[1] > …And Justice for All, Bridgeless, Push the Pig, Hurt Bird Bath > March of the S.O.D. > Hurt Bird Bath, In The Kitchen, 40’s Theme[2], Nemo, I Ran > JaJunk[3]

Encore: Miss Tinkle’s Overture > Mulche’s Odyssey

[1] moe. replaced Umphrey’s one-by-one for a “set break”: Recreational Chemistry > Brent Black > Enter Sandman; Michael Travis on percussion for Brent Black & Enter Sandman; Vince Iwinski on lead vocals for Enter Sandman
[2] with Ain’t No Fun (If the Homies Can’t Have None) (Snoop Dogg) quote from Brendan
[3] with Norwegian Wood (The Beatles) jam and Will You Be There (Micheal Jackson) and My Name is Mud (Primus) teases

Notes:
late night set in The Other Tent
with If You Leave Me Now (Chicago) tease before Nothing Too Fancy

This was a huge show for the band as they were starting to get some hype building up to this set and they just absolutely crushed it in front of probably their biggest audience to date. The set is a perfect encapsulation of everything they were doing well in 2004, and every song is jammed solidly. It’s really a two-set show but moe. transitioned in during Triple Wide and performed a few jams of their own to provide a seamless set break for the band. The whole thing is on nugs and it is a great listen. I was not there, but would catch my first show in Cincy a month after this one.

3 Likes

still my favorite show i’ve ever seen, any band

That was a great night indeed.

The hook, line and sinker for many of us.