The song that did it or the one that you can't leave alone

For me it was the 2/22/14 Red Tape that made me concede to my friend Eric who had been trying to indoctrinate me for the last year or so, and I attended my first show at Summerfest 6/29/14. 29 shows later and still going.

2 Likes

Two come to mind. Wizard in general. It wasn’t the first song I heard by the band, but when my Dream Theater loving self heard a few songs I kinda liked and then heard they could also do Wizard, I was like, “yep, fully onboard now.”

Then, 12/29/11 Bright Lights for opening my eyes to a new kind of improv I simply hadn’t been exposed to much before in my life. What a monumental jam that is.

3 Likes

11/09/07 bought on iTunes. Andy’s Division one two punch set the hook deep

2 Likes

4/3/08. I had already seen the band 12 times and enjoyed them but it was more just a party thing while going to see good music. I jumped in the car with some buddies for a 4 night run, night 3 in Asheville was just something else, it was like the stars aligned for a perfect show. I sincerely think it’s the best show they’ve ever played. I will relentlessly fluff the DBK forever.

5 Likes

That’s a fucking show there. I’m on team @PattyMelt with that DBK.

1 Like

Not even the best show they’ve played in Asheville brother…

2 Likes

2/11/2010?

2 Likes

You are incorrect.

2 Likes

Check out this playlist “Bort’s 1st Loves” I made on @nugsnet
nugs.net Shared Playlist : Bort's 1st Loves

There were a few responses that I wasn’t able to accommodate, if they weren’t available on Nugs. Besides that, I hope you enjoy my little mix tape.

@gatroe I didn’t leave you out bro. I had to listen to Chicago, and it sure is something.

Edited: After much thought, I couldn’t leave Chicago on that playlist.

3 Likes

My real answer is probably ITK from 4/8/09 which was my first show. I only knew a handful of songs before my first show and ITK was probably my favorite. To have it open my first show with a solid jam was all I needed. I think it clocked in at 18-19 mins

My second show was 2/28/10 which is a songlist show and has arguably one of the best Fancy reprises they’ve done.

3 Likes

I was at 2.28.10. It was dope. That and Sandpoint 2016 are the only songlist shows I’ve seen to my knowledge. Is there a list floating out there anywhere of all the songlist shows? They should bring those back…

3 Likes

What is a songlist show?

You wanna get in on this thread. I’m curious to hear your origin story.

2 Likes

A songlist show is where they work the set off a list of songs they have on stage but in no particular order. IIRC, it usually is like a list of 20 or so songs and they play what they want from the list in the order that feels natural. Makes way for some really good improv, as @gatroe pointed out with the N2F reprise from NoHo 2010 (2.28.10). I forget the date of the Sandpoint show off the top of my head, I want to say like 3.10.16 or something, but the Mantis from that show is worth a listen and that was the last songlist show to my knowledge.

^That is my origin story. Long story short, a friend gave me Anchor Drops on an iPod dump in 2004 and my first show was at Lollapalooza 2006. Met up with my friend Casey and Tony who introduced me to Circus who hooked up several gel tabs we ate throughout the weekend. I was 18 and Umphrey’s was playing the mainstage, the same stage the Red Hot Chili Peppers would headline on two days later. Umphrey’s opened with All In Time and I was immediately hooked. It was my second time on LSD, my first being 5.6.06 STS9 tour closer in Detroit, and it had a huge impact on my life, as I am now 34 still trying to figure out how I’m getting to my next Umphrey’s show. As far as songs that hooked me early on, it was my 15th show iirc, but the 2.27.08 In the Kitchen is one of my all time favorite jams.

2 Likes

The Fuzz from that 2/27/08 is a favorite of mine. That show is a heater. Btw, I’m 41 and I’ll always be thinking of the next UM show that I can get to. If by chance, it’s at one that you’re present at, you could give me pointers on how to be a faded vet or we could get weird.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure one of the 2017 shows I went to was a songlist show as well. I’m sure someone around here had a list going at some point. 3/2/17 is the one I’m thinking of. Opens with a pretty ADD Conduit jam that got hate on previous borts but I dug it

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever consistently listened to the reprise of N2F. I just assumed that the improv was in the first half, like most of their 2 part songs. The one you brought up is filthy and grimy and other goodness.

2 Likes

Ohhhh boy, reprise N2F jams were amazing for a good little while in the tail end of the '00s.

5 Likes

Is there other songs with a spectacular, rare reprises/ending. I’ve trying to keep an ear out for any Firs that go hard after the little dub/reggae thing they do.

Perfect for work tomorrow thanks @SchladopianFir

1 Like

Reprise fancy jams use to be some of the best UM

7 Likes