The Goose Is Loose

They’re a band I like but almost never listen to. Hard to explain Goose but I really want to see them play a show. Even with the mediocre improv and limited catalog of originals they’ve got some pretty fun covers they play and I’m sure I’d have a great time.

I don’t understand why people claim Goose is mediocre at improv. If you listen close, their Bass player eases them in and out of key changes during jams. I also think they are really good at tension and release, and building up to high peaks. I think they’ll also get better with time and start to experiment more. They are on the right track. There are so many worse jam bands out there that I can’t stomach and get bored to death listening to.

From their Alive and Well release:
Time to Flee 10.18.19 - 7:00 - 7:45, 8:00-8:26, leads to a real interesting quiet section that they slowly build from 8:36-11:15, more great listening and syncopated jamming from 11:15-13:00, more tension building from 13:15-14:55 were they return to the main theme.

This isn’t crazy Phish atonal madness, but I dig it.

1 Like

i appreciate your citations

1 Like

Goose is OK, but I prefer Aqueous and Spafford, personally.

4 Likes

Spafford is OK, but I prefer Aqueous and Goose, personally.

I feel like everyone loves to hate on them (not you specifically Pookells) because they gained so much popularity so fast and people love to be a contrarian. It’s okay if you try listening, don’t think much, and then move on with your life but it’s the incessant hate from people that’s pissing me off honestly. I don’t hate-tweet about Spafford all the time (again, not attacking you personally Pook), I just don’t listen to them and let others enjoy them

I mean that’s to be expected when a band gains momentum quickly like that. See Twiddle, Spafford, etc. I saw Goose a bunch a few years ago because they were local. They weren’t bad but they just didn’t grab me at all. I haven’t listened to them recently so maybe I need to give them a shot.

Yeah you’re right I do remember hate for all those when they gained some momentum. Except the Twiddle hate never died lmao.

I’d give them another shot if I were you. They’ve gotten better in just the year or so I’ve been listening to them. Much more dynamic when it comes to jams

1 Like

Oh, I don’t knock anybody’s music tastes. Goose just doesn’t resonate with me. Maybe it’s a case of not hearing the right show or shows. But I’ll give any band a chance - even Twiddle LOL

1 Like

Yeah apologies, your comment was just the most recent when I decided to get on my high horse. You’re def not knocking anyone who likes them as some others can do

1 Like

I literally said I liked them and because I wasnt gushing and cumming my panties about them it’s perceived as hate.

Wasn’t talking about you. It was more of an observation than thinking of anyone in particular, mainly directed at twitter and other platforms where people can scream into the void

…he screamed, into the void

2 Likes

You don’t need to apologize - I get where you’re coming from. It’s all good, man. They’re definitely talented, I’ll give them that.

For sure. I think they write some catchy, legit tunes. Which in this genre? That’s a ringing endorsement. Much their jamming is too spacial and non-directional for my ears. I’ll see them next time they come to town as a headliner.

And you know, like I posted earlier today, I’ve only listened to a couple of their shows, and maybe those weren’t the right ones for somebody new to Goose. They’re catchy, for sure. What I tend to do is compare bands to Umphrey’s since UM was my first jam band that I got into. I didn’t dig Spafford all that much when I first heard them, but I’ve begun to appreciate them over the last couple of years.

So with that, what would be a good Goose show to check out?

Scroll up to my Jan 9 post. Goosemas IV. Slow ready, creatures > tomorrow never knows is a great segment.

I’ve been enjoying Goose’s 10.25.19 show at the River Street Jazz Cafe in Wilkes-Barre, PA. The first set is better than the 2nd set IMO. There’s a 25 minute All I Need that works it’s way into Mais Que Nada. About the 7 minute mark in All In Time, they have a really great tension and build section, then about 10 minutes later the jam gets really interesting as it slowly segues into the next tune. Thing I really like about Goose is that they somehow make end up in a chord progression that they jam over within a lot their jams that keeps things fresh and pushes the music to the next level of intensity. I’m not sure if each jam has the same chord progression every time, but I don’t think that is the case.

Comparably, Spafford milks the hell out of a one chord jam. They slowly build these jams over 15+ minutes, giving each instrument a chance to shine until the guitar player takes over with his wizardry and exceptional technique. He’s really fun to listen to, but I feel like he needs other musicians with the same technical proficiency to keep up, ala Umphrey’s. No offense to the other players, they’re all great and I do enjoy listening to the places they are able to go as a unit. But, the long form jams that are based off of one chord demand a lot of patience until they reach a different point 20 minutes later.

For my taste, I dig Goose’s music a lot better. Plus, their jams are usually pretty uplifting and reach some soaring peaks. I haven’t listened to a lot of Spafford, but I just put on their 3.4.2020 from Grand Junction, CO. I appreciate the places they explore as a band, and their guitar player rips hard, I just think the musicians in Goose are a better match for each other and are more engaging.
I understand why folks praise Spafford. Each to his or her own.

For sure. I think they write some catchy, legit tunes. Which in this genre? That’s a ringing endorsement. Much their jamming is too spacial and non-directional for my ears. I’ll see them next time they come to town as a headliner.

I’m playing with this forum’s quoting function…so excuse me if I quoted this twice.

This is a very accurate assessment. Their tunes are legit. Once they get around to recording an album, it’s gonna be good. Some of their improv gets “there,” but if you’re coming from the land of Umphrey’s Mcgee, the jamming won’t do it for you.

In all, I’m a Goose fan. I even bought this dope long sleeve T-shirt with a breast pocket, so you can tell I’m legit (side note: all shirts should have breast pockets). But I caught this band live by accident and was “grabbed.” I went to see Cycles and they opened for them…I just couldn’t look away.

As for recs, they played a show in Buffalo in Nov 2019. They open with a Wood Brothers cover (Atlas) that’s got a great jam top-to-bottom then go into Arcadia (their best and most well-known song) that’s got a loooong jam. Their’s like 3 sections to the jam, the first two are pretty meh, but the last section and transition to the ending of Arcadia fuckin rip

I honestly can’t say i’ve gotten into any new drug bands since I was like 22 (7 years ago). Spafford, Goose, Aqueuos etc. I’ve seen them all multiple times and find myself outside in the smoking section at 95% of those shows.