The First Time You Heard UM

Love bowling. Went to a charity event Friday at a bowling alley.

Not good though. Once bowled a 231 but that’s like the only time I’ve broken 180. Budweiser tall boy 6pack I snuck in was working like Michael’s Secret Stuff.

One of my good friends won the Illinois State Junior tournament when he was in 6th grade but for some reason he was embarrassed by it. In high school we teased him that we would tell everybody he bowled.

2 Likes

I came across ITK at some point in 07-08 when I was poking around on the Internet. Pretty sure I had been listening to the biscuits already and wanted to check out this band with the weird name who they have toured with and are in the same “genre”.

First show was in 09 and they opened it with a fat 19 minute ITK. It was a pretty heady show for stats in the long run. Also features a great 19 minute Plunger lyrical and probably the shortest versions of Blecho (2:01) and RW (3:18) thanks to the great Scott Hannay (@umphreysmcnes)

04/08/2009 - Calvin Theater - Northampton, MA

Set 1: In The Kitchen > Cemetery Walk > #5 > The Haunt[1] > In The Kitchen > The Triple Wide[2], 40’s Theme

Set 2: Blue Echo[2] > Robot World, Plunger[3], The Bottom Half > Spires > The Bottom Half, Equal Rights, Kimble > The Floor

Encore: The Fuzz > Glory

Footnotes:
[1] with Another Brick In The Wall (Pink Floyd) jam
[2] with Scott Hannay on keys with Joel
[3] “Jimmy Stewart” with lyrics

3 Likes

I’m still bitter about missing that and the 2010 Calvin shows

1 Like

2010 was my 2nd show. Heady songlist show FTW

1 Like

Lol that’s pretty hetty

Heard it first at the BP I used to work at back around 2013. My friend wouldn’t stop playing Umphrey’s and I hated it. He kept playing it and eventually I ‘got it’ I also remember this particular Red Tape 2/22/14, that really got me invested.

1 Like

Did you work at that bp with Eric w?

2 Likes

Sure did

He basically made me go to the summerfest 2014 show

Also to add, when I first heard it I swore all the songs sounded the same

1 Like

How do you know Eric ?

Just through highschool and umphrey’s. He lived like 8 houses down from me

No shit man wow small world

I’ve been to quite a few shows with him, over 20 for sure

2 Likes

Yeah that’s why I was so suprised when you said you graduated central in 08, like how did we never cross paths

1 Like

The power of Umphrey’s

I lived with that little shit in college. Going to do
a bunch of face drugs and go see KC and the sunshine band at summerfest Saturday with him.

4 Likes

We all know Eric

3 Likes

Adding outstanding versions of Higgins to a playlist on nugs and look who pops up

I might come down for Madison Cunningham. I wanna do drugs! Hit me up

I heard a cover of Burning Down The House on iTunes in 07-08 and thought they were cool. In 2010, my dad xmas gifted me tickets to 12-30-2010 in Chicago. I got way too ripped, got destroyed by the lights, and hugged a wall for rest of the show. I never got into them again until I got Spotify, and looked into playlists with jambands. But what really did it was the free 90 day trial for Nugs when Covid started. Now I pretty much only listen to live Umph on Nugs, maybe a little way too much lol. Plus, I’m finally getting to my 2nd show, after almost 12 years, at Sacred Rose.

11 Likes

this is a wild ride, hope you love your second show :slight_smile:

7 Likes

if you can you should prob try to squeeze that vic show in too

5 Likes