The First Time You Heard UM

They have a new lighting director that won’t burn your retinas or give you a seizure, so you should be good.

4 Likes

Lol. It was intense. I remember feeling like I was almost at a Tool show, meaning I was having vacation without needing the essentials.

1 Like

Wait we really think @SchladopianFir is real?

1 Like

Prob yeah I think he’s from Reddit I shared a link to bort outstanding versions

1 Like

Sometime in 2004 I was working this shitty job with the older brother of a high school classmate, and we used to talk music a lot to pass the time. He knew I liked Phish and was getting into moe., so he recommended UM and told me to check them out at Summerfest 04. Thought the band name was extremely dumb and didn’t end up going to that show, but he raved about it enough afterwards that I started digging around the internet for their music - downloaded whatever versions of Fussy, 3x, etc. were on Kazaa and Limewire, then months later came across archive.org and listened to shows like 12/3/04 and 12/11/04 quite a bit. Really dug Anchor Drops, and then I saw my first show at Summerfest 05, was hooked from there.

Also, hello Bort. Glad this place is still kicking, albeit in a different form.

20 Likes

that’s a name I haven’t seen in a long time! Welcome back!

9 Likes

Nice to see another old handle up in here!

9 Likes

Did you used to have a Packers avatar brah?

Honestly can’t remember, but highly likely. I bleed green and gold, mang.

5 Likes

Word. I knew I recalled that from your handle. Well welcome back brah! Umphrey’s is playing well, people are coming out of the wood work, life is good.

1 Like

whenever I ask my dealer to front me another 8-ball

4 Likes

I am indeed a living being. Most days.

1 Like

Do you like greta van fleet?

3 Likes

Only when I get into my wife’s White Claws.

8 Likes

Bad decisions all around there. Never take the “wife’s” claws or listen to GVF

3 Likes

It was a bad time in my life. Wait till I tell stories of when I was a face painted juggalo. Now that was real bad.

7 Likes

This is honestly the perfect response.

2 Likes

I think I just saw Bort mentioned in a comment, and thought I’d look into it. I’ve been wanting find boards like this so I can find out a little more about UM. I’ve been meaning to ask if there’s any kind of Umph 101 thread. How can you tell who wrote the setlist based on listening? The hand signals? Why are some folks only into pre 2008 UM? Shit like that.

4 Likes

This’ll get you going on some of those questions

https://the-bort.com/t/jimmy-stewart-write-up-thanks-to-jon-mclennand-mcl

3 Likes

@UMFree

3 Likes