The First Time You Heard UM

Your dad rocks. Can’t believe you were 10 at your 1st show. Way to one up young @ski-bUM at his 1st show.

6 Likes

HBB off of the original bonnaroo soundtrack

1 Like

Went in pretty much blind to 12/31/2009 with some of my older brothers buddies. I didn’t know shit about the band or the jam scene at that point. We all ate some L and my mind was blown. I remember coming back to the homies apartment and we were listening to that night’s Phish show and I wasn’t really digging it, I just wanted to listen to more Umphrey’s lol. Caught them again that year at my first summer camp and I was officially hooked.

3 Likes

Set 1: Cemetery Walk > The Triple Wide, Divisions, Red Tape[1], Headphones & Snowcones[2], Mulche’s Odyssey

Set 2: Catshot[3], Hajimemashite, Ringo[1], The Skunk, The Goose, and The Fly[1], Bridgeless > Ocean Billy, Move Your Rug[4], Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out[5] > Bridgeless

Set 3: Much Obliged[6] > Auld Lang Syne[1], Hurt Bird Bath, Gulf Stream, Phil’s Farm, Turn & Dub[7], Can’t Take My Eyes Off Of You[8], Cemetery Walk II

Encore: 1348, Reelin’ in the Years[9]

Footnotes:
[1] with Mad Dog and his Filthy Little Secret horns
[2] with Mad Dog and his Filthy Little Secret horns; with Mike Mirro on Marimba and Jake on percussion
[3] ended with band on electronics and drum pads at front of house
[4] debut, Jeff Coffin; with Mad Dog and his Filthy Little Secret horns
[5] debut, Bruce Springsteen; with Mad Dog and his Filthy Little Secret horns
[6] with Soul Food II teases; with Mad Dog and his Filthy Little Secret horns
[7] debut, original (re-mix by Michael G of Easy Star All Stars); with Mad Dog and his Filthy Little Secret horns
[8] debut, Frankie Valli; with Jake on bass
[9] debut, Steely Dan; with Mad Dog and his Filthy Little Secret horns

**Show Notes:**Mad Dog and his Filthy Little Secret horns were: Michael “Mad Dog” Mavridoglou on trumpet, Jeff Coffin on saxophone, Chris Neal on saxophone, and Brent Sanders on trombone
last Headphones & Snowcones 2002-10-04 (955 shows)
last The Skunk, The Goose, and The Fly 2001-12-31 (1,084 shows)

4 Likes

love this thread and hearing yall’s stories as someone still relatively infatuated by the band

6 Likes

I’ve told my story enough times on the various versions of the bort over the years, but the 1st I remember hearing any UM was when they opened for a friend’s former band (Freshwater Collins) at the old Thai Joe’s (RIP) on MKE’s east side in May of ‘99. TBH, I wasn’t really paying much attention to the music, but more so concentrating on playing pool & the lady I had in my sights. Saw them after Phish Deer Creek in both ‘99 & ‘00, as we camped in Dead Creek those years & ‘03. Again, heard em but didn’t pay too much attention, being post show during prime years of Phish. Had an employee @ Jimmy John’s who’d play some here & there, but it only sorta made me wanna hear more. She talked their current live shows (‘00/‘01) up enough where a couple buddies & I decided to take a shot in the dark & went to the now legendary 12-01-2001 show at the Barrymore in Madison. I was hooked within the first few mins of the Tribute opener. It turned out to be exactly what I needed during the uncertainty of the Phish hiatus, and I went balls deep for the next 10 years or so, then still saw plenty of UM after that, but not quite as passionately…

:+1: :beers:

7 Likes

Care to share more of the lore of why this is a legendary show? Not that I am doubting you, just genuinely curious. May have to throw this on

1 Like

It’s just a super solid early show, and was the show that turned a good number of old school Midwest folks into big fans. I guess, as much as anything, it was a show that was highly regarded amongst the OG bort vets. The show just never let up, between all the solid playing, great jams, variance in musical styles both in originals & covers, and the debuts of Waiting Room & War Pigs certainly didn’t hurt either. It had such a magical feel to it, and so many of the old vets always spoke highly of it for years after. To be fair though, it’s probably amongst the years which are being lost to many of the newer fans who prefer the current sound. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

awesome stuff! Thanks for explaining, definitely will check the show out

1 Like

Going to have to listen to this again, too.

1 Like

ooo oooo, i got this one!

Those tracks look all mixed up…

December 1, 2001 The Barrymore TheatreMadison, WI, USA

Set 1: Tribute to the Spinal Shaft > Water, Hurt Bird Bath, No Ordinary Love, Nachos for Two, Ringo[1], Front Porch[2], Jessica, 40’s Theme

Set 2:“Jimmy Stewart”[3]-> 2x2, Waiting Room[4], Raymond > Drums, August[5]-> War Pigs[6] > Space Funk Booty > Utopian Fir > Space Funk Booty, Regulate

Encore: Andy’s Last Beer > Tomorrow Never Knows

Footnotes:
[1] with Pick Your Nose tease
[2] with The Star Spangled Banner (Francis Scott Key) tease
[3] with One (Metallica) tease
[4] debut, Fugazi
[5] with Eye of the Tiger (Survivor) jam
[6] debut, Black Sabbath; first verse only

**Show Notes:**Nachos for Two was played for Vince’s birthday
with The Woody Woodpecker theme (George Tibbles and Ramey Idriss) tease before Andy’s Last Beer

1 Like

2 Likes

Here’s a link to the matrix recording of the show…

https://archive.org/details/UmphreysMcGee?query=2001-12-01

Edit: WTF?…this now has those tracks all scrambled up like the post above shows. Weird stuff.

1 Like

my sister always spoke highly of those '01 - '04 Barrymore shows. Debuts left and right.

I’ll check my drives when I get home to see if I can post the show w/o the files being all out of order. I wonder how that happened on the LMA site.

I think the show can still be downloaded, but I know most people just wanna stream stuff rather than having their own copy…

2 Likes

I was on tour in Missoula Montana with a SLC jamgrass band called Tanglewood in 2002. Our tour manager was meeting up with us that day and when he rolled up with the February 18, 2001 Mt. Snow Vermont blaring. I asked him who it was and he told me and offered to burn some discs of the show for me. I loved the whole Much Obliged > Sweetness > 2nd Self > Andy’s Last Beer segment that kicked off set I. He also burned me a copy of Local Band Does OK and my roommates and I had an awesome time trying to figure out where the songs stopped and started. That started a journey down the archive rabbit hole until Anchor Drops was released.

My first show wasn’t until 2009, when I was able catch them at the House of Blues when I was working in the Mojave Desert near Las Vegas:

Set 1: Prowler > Intentions Clear, Bad Poker, Professor Wormbog > 2nd Self, White Man’s Moccasins, The Stranger

Set 2: JaJunk > Turn & Run, Pay the Snucka[1], Uncommon > In the Flesh? > Another Brick in the Wall > Raymond[2], Slacker, Much Obliged

Encore: Dear Prudence, JaJunk

Footnotes:
[1] with (Don’t Fear) The Reaper (Blue Öyster Cult) and Roundabout (Yes) teases
[2] with Jake on percussion

4 Likes

I think the tracks are correct, just the names on them are wrong.

Pre anchor drops, podcast 11 and live at the Murat are what hooked me

The planets really aligned for me to get into Umphrey’s in 2004:

• Phish on hiatus
  • Read on Phish message boards that Umphrey’s was going to take the throne
  • Sitting in a boring internship in Cincinnati I stumbled upon their website which had some mp3s (studio ITK, live Tinkle’s & HBB), wow I do like this…
  • Looked up their tour dates to see if they would be in Cincy at all over the summer, yes they are playing at Bogart’s TOMORROW
  • Called my buddy and said we’re going to check out this band neither of us have listened to before
  • Hooked from the first notes of the Fussy Dutchman
  • Found out you could buy the show on CD, like right after the show… listened to that show about 50 billions times over the summer, bought Anchor Drops, etc.
  • Then found out they were from ND… I was a rising senior at ND at the time
  • Saw them at the Mishawaka Brew Co and HOB Chicago
  • Graduated, moved to Chicago, they actually liked playing there at the time and would play good shows there (unlike the last decade)

Rest is history!

7 Likes