The First Time You Heard UM

Growing up my dad used to always buy relix magazine and it used to come with a sampler CD. I believe In The Kitchen was the first song I heard. This must have been like 2003. I remember Nemo being on a sample CD at some point too.

And then my dad would always just rent out the CDs of bands we liked from the library and burn illegal copies lol.

And then fast forward a few years I went with my dad to summerfest for the big summer classic in 2005. I think I was 10 at the time. That was my introduction to the jam scene.

4 Likes

Whatā€™s funny is I had the opposite experience. I was listening to lots of crunchy nonsense and UM was the bridge to prog and metal for me. Old borters turned me onto records like Leviathan by Mastodon which made me fall in love with metal and give my heart to Iommi.

8 Likes

Are you describing Dillon? Three decent jams in the first set (Milk, AIT, GA) and a 23 minute Plunger to open the second set. Standard great Umphreyā€™s show in 2022 Iā€™d say.

1 Like

Iā€™m all ears and will have to check that out, I was out when that happened.

Netflix was very good for this in the mid-2000ā€™s

2 Likes

I still do this.

4 Likes

Got a copy of SFOW around 2000 and gave it several spins before my first show in 2001. Some friends claim we were at Dead Creek Campground 7/25/99 but Iā€™m pretty certain we were at another campground up the road.

3 Likes

This is about to turn into a confession: Went to Roo 05 to see DMB, OAR (Iā€™m from Maryland and was 18 at the time, cut me a break), Jack Johnson and Jurassic 5ā€¦yikes.

Needless to say, my world of music changed drastically that weekend. Icing on the cake was UM that Sunday, never really looked back after that. Havenā€™t seen any of the aforementioned bands since either.

3 Likes

still is. iā€™m on the DVD plan

libraries are still amazing as well. visit/support your local, by ripping audio/video and checking out a good book

4 Likes

I think the real confession here is you have avoided seeing Jurassic 5 for 17 years and donā€™t think itā€™s a bad thing.

7 Likes

the word ā€œrentā€ and library doesnā€™t sit well with me. it is only ā€œrentingā€ if you are fined by a late return. otherwise, this shit is free

4 Likes

Look at everything Iā€™m ā€œrentingā€ from the library right now:

6 Likes

:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Fall 08, live at the Murat via sharing iTunes libraries in college. Kitchen did it for me. Grabbed 11/09/07 off of iTunes and that was it

3 Likes

my dad was religious about doing this. have soooo many shows and movies on DVD-Rs. Probably three 128 capacity CD booklets filled.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got Dreamlandā€¦finally read it last fall. I picked up the follow up right when that was released but havenā€™t read much of itā€¦might have to crank out 100 pages or so this weekend. It is eye opening stuff brah.

3 Likes

I would love to see them again, they were unfairly grouped there.

5 Likes

I picked it up after your rec a while ago! I accidentally got the YA version* a month ago or I probably would have started it by now.

*The fact there is a YA version is so dumb.

1 Like

Word. It is really wild to see how black tar spread throughout the mid sized cities in the country as the over prescription of pain killers like OCs created a whole new clientele for the Mexicans trafficking black tar throughout the Western US and into the Midwest and East Coast eventually. Glad I never developed a habit from opiates that is for sure. Iā€™m pretty sure the follow up is only going to blow my mind even more regarding the spread of fentanyl and evolution of methamphetamine with their effects on the growing homeless population in this country.

2 Likes

Ribfest? Wish I had known that was happening. Went to BSC a few days later at the Schaumburg baseball place.

3 Likes