The Dear Hunter (Casey Crescenzo Thread)

Checking back in to give a big ol WTF is that Cha Cha slide at the end of this new song? Love it

1 Like

Cheating by a few hours. Just popped the album on now.

Oh shit, is this released tomorrow as well?

Yup! Was there another important album being released tomorrow?

Not as important as this one

3 Likes

I was gonna say…

1 Like

This album is all over the place in a good way. Their proggiest stuff, at least to my ears.

3 Likes

Ring 3-Luxury must have been one of the early releases? Anyway, it goes from Hamilton-like theatrical musical style to fucking awesome rock then a meandering additional 7 minutes. I like it.

Overall, some of this would make a great Broadway musical. But I also hear 1970’s prog and pop rock influences (like Yes, Floyd, and even Michael Jackson).

1 Like

Debating if I should wait for the vinyl to arrive to listen. Should I just download the mp3s?

I’d listen. Isnt the vinyl not even shipping until August?

I think so, I’ve got other artists whose stuff came out over a month ago and the vinyl I preordered isn’t going to be shipping until October. The vinyl situation is really fucked.

I’ll get it on my phone at lunch break and listen this afternoon

1 Like

So I really love the album, but that’s not too surprising because there isn’t a single dear hunter album I dislike, or am even medium on. They’re all really good to fantastic. Don’t know if I prefer this to color spectrum or migrant but I definitely will listen to it just as much.

I 100% agree with @flyfishmich that the front half of ring 3 gives me massive Hamilton vibes. Also I get strong supertramp vibes from the 2nd half of ring 5. I think the weakest track for me is ring 4 but I still like it. It’s a toss up for favorite between ring 7, ring 3, and ring 2.

I think the only thing the album is missing is the screaming. Casey is such an incredible scream singer, and that intensity adds so much to their music. It doesn’t necessarily work with the entire palate of the album but there’s definitely places it would have fit in nicely.

Also I like the swapping of string quartets for horn sections. I mean both are awesome but this is a refreshing change.

3 Likes

The second half of Ring 5 is like supertramp meets Pink Floyd. On my second proper listen now and it is better the second time. I agree that the scream singing is missing, but being that this album is nothing but world building, it makes sense the more dramatic story sections that would require scream singing aren’t present.

Casey Crescenzo cannot miss. I don’t think there is a band out there that has kept me this happy for this many albums.

2 Likes

Next album is called Sunya (which is the name of the mythical holy city) and is due out “hopefully next spring”. - per Casey on reddit

Oh shit boys

1 Like

This album is so good. Lots here and it’ll require a bunch of spins to hear everything.

I’m not a huge fan of the more musical, Hamilton sections. But I typically don’t like musicals. It’ll probably grow on me though.

I love how many styles are perfectly executed on this album, though.

1 Like

Kinda agreed. Reminded me of the Devin Townsend stuff I have a hard time getting into

1 Like

I’ve tried getting into Townsend so many times. It’s ok, but it doesn’t grab me. This is a good comparison.

1 Like

I just find this take a bit odd, since the dear hunter have always been doing that. I guess acts 4 and 5 were a bit more straightforward? There’s full-on barbershop quartet acapella breakdowns in act 2. I’ve seen this take on other websites too, not just here but that’s always been in the bands DNA, at least in my opinion.

Idk, haven’t listened to much. Just happened to put on the new one yesterday

Barbershop quartet is different than a musical-like delivery, imo. Musical-like delivery to me is when it sounds like someone’s doing a monologue, but singing. That’s in contrast to a vocalist fitting into the rest of the sonic space.

Take that as a grain of salt because I don’t feel like DMOR to find specific examples. I do know Act II really well and there’s no section on that album that gives me the musical vibes like the new one. Maybe the later half of Smiling Swine? But not really because there’s more going on in the song.