Summer Camp 2023

Oooof. Toohot4dinosuit

Remind me to wear my walrus onesie to one of the Colorado shows though.

3 Likes

Yeah I guess I’ll have to check weather. But I’ll be wearing something dope

10 day is definitely looking warm and slightly muggy.

1 Like

Any tips for a first timer? I have festival experience but I’ve never been to Summer Camp.

1 Like

Samesies

Nice but I’ll be at the red barn during our set catching everyone orchestra

9 Likes

I’m ready to get Squeaked

3 Likes

I’m sure you’ve seen there’s no outside booze allowed. Wrap liquor bottles in your sleeping bags, bury your beer in the bottle of the cooler. If a security guy starts getting too nosy offer him a $20.

In my experience, most of them aren’t too aggressive but I haven’t been in over 10 years

Walk the woods at night, preferably fucked up. It’s a trip.

Make sure to catch a late night at the campfire.

Bring shade. The mornings can be brutal and turn your tent into a sauna.

3 Likes

We’re doing the car camping option. Do they do a full car search for booze or is that allowed at the car/rv spots?

In that same vein I’ve heard horror stories about the police presence in the surrounding area. Anything I should be worried about?

Oh and be very very safe driving through Chillicothe/Peoria. The cops know what’s going on. Expect to get a K9 scan on your car

6 Likes

See my post above about the police as you’re driving in. Generally one you’re in the grounds you’re fine though. I’ve never done the car camping but I can’t imagine they tear apart your car for booze. They may ask to open your cooler.

I’ve heard stories of a few under covers but never seen them myself

Was the car camping option like a literal option that you had to select? I’d rather honestly do that then just set up our meh tent for only a few hours of bad sleep then driving back.

Honestly with me dealing with covid this week I might just try to find a hotel nearby

Oh also plan for rain and pretty insane mud. Bring good boots. I’ve watched plenty of afternoon sets standing in mud past my ankles

3 Likes

I think hotel is the play for you. Pretty sure there are hotel shuttles

2 Likes

Yes there was a separate option to buy a car camping pass.

Ahh thanks. My wife bought the Sunday tickets for my birthday so I’m unaware of the process

2 Likes

There are definitely under covers at Jay Goldberg’s events. I had a buddy who was dosing someone at Scamp 2009 and he got bear hugged by a UC and spent Memorial Day Weekend in jail. Ended up doing some time because he had an assortment of substances on him. The band dedicated the Tribute to the Spinal Shaft at High Sierra later that summer to him.

I’ve also been arrested by an undercover at the Canopy Club.

As far as protips, I suggest using Coke 12 or 24 packs to fill with beer. Just open them with a letter opener or similar and then super glue them back so it just looks like you are bringing in a lot of pop.

2 Likes

Hopefully the change in the MJ laws in IL have mitigated this a bit, but I literally have no idea what substances dogs pick up on.

1 Like

Mostly explosives. :wink:

1 Like

Cops havent been bad the last several years heading in (did skip last year).

With herb being legal its not as easy for them to be dicks.

Drive speed limit and dont have anything hanging from rearview mirror and you will be fine.

4 Likes