Rockjavik: A 3 night run in Iceland

Decided to cancel my airbnb & booked a room at the Raddison Blu. Saved $150 & now I get to stay in the same hotel as all the UM folk. Pretty pumped, I can’t wait for this.

Wonder if there’ll be any late-nights. Hope so.

The breakfast buffet there is legit. A little far away from the action, but it’s a quality hotel. Cut through that big ass cemetery one time during the day. Some graves are from the 1400s. Moss and vines growing over the tombstones and shit. Pretty cool.

1 Like

What kind of AirBnB were you staying at that the Radisson Blu was cheaper? We have a gorgeous AirBnB overlooking the harbor and it was cheaper than the Radisson, but I suppose that may be a function of when we booked.

Have definitely heard there will be late-nights, though. Think they said early on that they had some things in the works.

That sounds pretty wild, may have to swing over there to check it out. Something really foreboding and intriguing to me about ‘ancient’ cemeteries.

Have definitely heard there will be late-nights, though. Think they said early on that they had some things in the works.

With the initial announcement they said they’d work on putting together late nights. But then someone asked Joel about it recently and he said the late nights are looking for the northern lights.

Even if they put some together I’ll probably be skipping unless it’s something pretty compelling. Going to want to be getting up at a decent hour each day to go exploring.

You’ll want to see the Northern Lights. They’re incredible.

My airbnb was pretty cool, right on the main strip of Laugavegur. When I initially booked it was cheaper than the Radisson, but last night I booked a room via Raddison website which was offering dIscounted rates for some January sale they were offering & 3 nights was $656. My airbnb was going to be $800.

If anyone is still looking for hotel ideas, we’re staying at Hotel Fron. Free breakfast, close to the venue, and cheaper than the Radisson Blue (we’re paying $730 for 5 nights).

Yes.

Still haven’t sold my ticket. Maybe I’ll just go…

1 Like

Ahh, makes sense. I’d honestly probably look into that if ours was fully refundable, for the same reason as you. But not too upset about having to stick with the somewhat swanky AirBnB :man_dancing: :metal:.

Didn’t see that, would be a bit of a bummer, IMO. People are getting there late/early for the Northern Lights and other touristy stuff, for the most part at least.

Would love some late-night options for sure. Doing most of our exploring in the days leading up to the shows, so not too worried about having to be up early. And this is coming from someone that’s usually ready to pass out shortly after a show.

This, on top of the fact that Iceland has very strict (low) DUI limits, I’m not interested in driving outside of the city after the shows to catch the lights. I’ll DD one of the nights if we get shut out of northern lights viewing the week leading up to the shows, and the forecast is good one of the nights. Otherwise would prefer a place walking distance from Harpa to entertain myself with more music after the shows.

With you 100%.

I saw that bars are open until like 4:30 in the morning there. Things post-show could get interesting.

People are getting there late/early for the Northern Lights and other touristy stuff, for the most part at least.

Yeah we are doing the stuff far away from Reykjavik before and after the run (Snaefellsnes, Vik, Jokulsarlon, etc.). Then do the Golden Circle stops during the days of the UM run. But maybe one day we’ll stay back and just chill in Reykjavik.

Iceland Volcano showing signs of unrest!

Nice. That’s like right next to the blue lagoon and just down the road from the airport. I’d be down to get volcano stranded on Iceland

2 Likes

When I was in Iceland 6 years ago we accidentally stayed out til 4:30 because we thought bars would close at 2, we didnt have any watches or phones, and the sun stayed out all night.

Late night announcement & Ticket update sent via email

I don’t think I’ve ever said this before but holy shit is it March yet, I cannot wait for this trip.

Getting soooo pumped, it’s unhealthy. Love that there will be two options each night, and they’re in intimate venues and seemingly within walking distance.

This was definitely the right call, IMO. Had heard above that there was possibly no-late night action, which I think would’ve been a huge misstep.