Random, Spontaneous Thoughts about UM (Part Poo)

Which show is 2006 and which one is 2019?

8 Likes

It’s less of an issue with old songs like Divisions or All in Time where you could fit the lyrics on a cocktail napkin. They are all just too wordy and redundant now.

Every songwriter has a different approach, but mixing things up can be refreshing. Jason Isbell has a line in one of his songs where he says “I’ve sang enough about myself.” Tracks on that same record touch on themes and stories outside of his personal struggles that had dominated previous records and the change was refreshing.

Then again, when BB doesn’t write sad bastard songs, we get whistle kids which I also hate.

8 Likes

Hmmm, I dunno. It’s hard to make an inference of global trends from only two data points, don’t ya think?

That’s incorrect information. The band may be done recording, sure.

7 Likes

Umphreys jams just as much now as ever. It’s just 10 jams that are 3-7 min long each. With some shows having some jams even more extended.

5 Likes

Gotcha. I thought I remember reading mixing was being done ages ago. So I assumed it was almost done. Still it’s very common to announce the record along with the debut single. Oh well, not losing sleep over it

1 Like

Yeah I got Police vibes as well. Fucking narcs

6 Likes

Not really trying to argue this tired point, but I hear you.

I think the point I was making is they take less improv risks and give it much less space to develop these days.

1 Like

Trying to find a show that @sabretooth mentioned awhile back. I think it was a 07/08 S2 with a monster front porch to open and literally not another jam in the entire set. They definitely don’t have one big jam in a set as much anymore but they definitely jam more often. Some people have an inflated view of their earlier years because they were in their early 20’s railing down lines of blow in The Rave bathroom and raging with their friends and that’s more memorable to them

8 Likes

Sprinkle in your crazy train, ATH teases or recycled Jake riffs, but theres plenty of yellow on @NikoEstevan’s charts

3 Likes

Song is good for a single. My main knock is the bayliss vocals, but that’s beating a dead horse at this point. I feel like the song could benefit from an extra transition riff or something to break up the three sections of the song and a less phoned on Jake solo, I swear I’ve heard this exact solo multiple times before.

I also feel like jwelsh is being coy about the new album.

I am glad to see that they branched out from typewriters to letter boards for their album art

7 Likes

Pretty much this. It can be very frustrating most times, especially this past year. But they definitely hit on some things in 18/19 that I found pretty memorable.

1 Like

Good point. The production value on this is just outstanding. Really impressed.

2 Likes

Why wait?

2 Likes

The worst thing for the band was Bayliss learning how to sing. Now that he is passable in that department, he tries to squeeze in as many words as possible into every song

3 Likes

Is there any legit data that shows what year had the most improv per show?

Edit: it’s probably 2008 but it would be cool to see how they rank

1/27/11 GOAT UM show

3 Likes

Gotta be 07 08 or 2019. I remember crunching some numbers and 2011 had the most 10+ min jams of any year, but shows would consist of 2 monsters and standard the rest of the way

2 Likes

We need @NikoEstevan to go back and make listening guides for every show on nugs, plzthx

9 Likes