Jason Isbell

Less than 3 weeks out to the Grand Rapids show and it hasn’t been postponed or cancelled yet. Only thing I can figure is they are keeping ticket sales open for a rescheduled date in the future?

What do you guys recommend for a complete noob who has never heard this guy’s stuff? Nugs or Spotify

I’d probably say start with Southeastern

3 Likes

Yea 100% agree. Southeastern first. There are 2 live albums on Spotify that I’d go to before diving into all the shows on nugs as well. Live from Alabama is a good showcase of his pre Southeastern material, while Live from the Ryman is all Southeastern onward.

what @James and @mja271 sed

both of those live albums are solid top to bottom

eta: a rec for Here We Rest, which gets somewhat overlooked from the early post-Truckers daze

1 Like

+1, love here we rest

1 Like

I know everybody basically uses Southeastern and onward when talking about him, partly because that material is all great and it’s also when he became more widely known. But Here We Rest was really where the seeds were planted for where he ended up going. That album is unfortunately way too overlooked

Some of his older stuff is really great. Sirens of the Ditch and the 400 unit S/T album are two of my most listened to.

1 Like

I prefer here we rest to southeastern personally

1 Like

Thanks y’all

Totally agree

Three shows, Oct 9-11

2 Likes

This passage from the song River hits me hard. Simple, beautiful, and poetic.

The river is my savior
She’s running to the sea
And to reach her destination
Is to simply cease to be
And running until you’re nothing
Sounds a lot like being free
So I’ll lay myself inside her
And I’ll let her carry me

3 Likes

Acoustic show with Hood and Cooley of DBT from 2014 added to Bandcamp. Absolutely stoked to listen to this, use to play the AUD and YT vids a ton. A treat to get the 3 of them on stage together and the setlist is a great mix of DBT classics and Isbell solo songs

1 Like

this Decoration Day kills me. kills. kills. kills.

Jason Isbell and Vernon Reid just had a mutual appreciation moment on Twitter. My heart is so fucken full right now.

Speaking of mutual appreciation…

https://youtu.be/GlNzVdpG7lA

3 Likes

Not sure why they include these anymore but if someone can use it, have at it.

1 Like

I have a whole stack of them that I’ve been meaning to download but haven’t. I really can’t imagine a world where we won’t have access to streaming services.

My old roommate used to sell them on eBay for like $10 a piece, seems like a lot of hassle though. I bet there’s way less demand than there was 5 years ago for people digitally owning music.

This poster/promo flyer that came in my Southeastern vinyl is kind of awesome

3 Likes