Jason Isbell

Yea I feel similarly. It’s a little too one note to justify being over 6.5 mins. The slide work is really nice throughout I will say. I don’t dislike either of the two tracks released by any means but so far I’m not sold on this record yet.

I prefer here we rest to Southeastern

I’m a little underwhelmed with both new singles so far. Kinda unfortunate as I’m not sure I’ve heard a single song he’s ever wrote before these that I’m not into. I’m a huge Isbell fanboy.

Oh well, still got the vinyl preordered and looking forward to hearing the whole album.

I’m in a similar camp other then the fact I feel like his best work may be behind him, with Southeastern being the pinnacle.

Southeastern is easily his peak but if that’s a 10 I’d easily say Something More than Free and The Nashville Sound are a 9.5 and a 9, respectively. The man has done no wrong in my eyes up until now.

I agree that his songwriting peaked at Southeastern, but he’s still a phenomenal performer and Strings opening doesn’t hurt. July is looking like a stellar month for live music in OR. Phish > StrUMmit > Strings/Isbell and it’s only March!

beautiful cover of Poncho & Lefty at ~16:15…

1 Like

I feel like he’s always in such a rush to start telling the story. Like the singing starts within the first 5 seconds of the song.

Some of his best stuff is when he lets that thing groove for a lil bit

1 Like

oh yeah. here’s another example…

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

Great post. Dank/Manuel might be my favorite Isbell song

1 Like

His DBT work makes up about a regular length LP If you lump it all together and it’s all fucking great. The Dirty South is one of my all time favorite records and a big part of that is having The Day John Henry Died, Danko/Manuel, Never Gonna Change, and Goddamn Lonely Love on the tracklist

Such a cool couple

1 Like

agreed. chills every time.

He did a beautiful version of Heathens by DBT on his IG earlier today, worth checking out

1 Like

New song “Only Children” out today and is definitely my favorite of the 3 released so far. Feels more like vintage Isbell to me

Another new single today, digging it

I forgot to listen to the last one

Only Children is excellent, vintage Isbell

New record is out. I really enjoy it. A bit more musical diversity than the last few. I was a little concerned after the first 2 singles didn’t totally grab me but overall it’s another strong effort from him that mostly fits right in with his recent output imo

3 Likes