Jams the bort literally never talks about

Off hand, these are some that came to mind for me…

8/12/10 DBK. This is a standalone version. The first jam is the potato part of Proverbial, but I really dig this version for the second jam. It’s just a single theme but features a cool rhythm part from Bayliss with Joel putting down some lead lines on piano.

9/23/10 standalone lyrical stew. It’s another simple one, but I was often lobbying Joel to bring it back. At the time, it was called “Seasons”, but it sounds nothing like the Seasons they play now.

10/30/10 Tribute to the Spinal Shaft with Chris Wood on upright bass. Bayliss doing some Scofield-esque stuff in this one.

7/1/11 AIT. This gets overshadowed by the Tribute from the same show, but this was my favorite. It still may be the best UM jam I’ve seen live. If you add in the ending, in clocks in at around 27 minutes. The jam goes through like 3 or 4 different themes, and it never just becomes a vehicle for someone to solo over. It’s just UM doing group improv at their best. On another note, The Bottom Half from this show is also worth a listen.

12/29/11 Reso. Again, this gets overshadowed by another song in the same show (Bright Lights), but I prefer this one. The first jam is the dark electronic jam with a really infectious sound. The second gets into atonal jazz territory.

3 Likes

Love that reso

1 Like

That Reso and Tribute are both fantastic

1 Like

Didn’t this become part of Onward & Upward for UMBowl V? Still a great jam though.

Heady Bron rec. First part is very @cshore but the ending is beautiful.

Heady @3x40oz rec. Loved this jam and the → TBH is delish.

Tried to get every rec in here. If it isn’t, you probably had the wrong date or I couldn’t find it on the shitty app.

5 Likes

I hate cshore jams

2 Likes

Where’s that 1/30/11 Blecho? Just because Dex made a single post about it (and claimed it was an entire dedicated thread) doesn’t mean it should be left off. #hivemind

Also, lol. u kno y

1 Like

Also thanks for the playlist!

Lol I didn’t even know you that was you who posted that but it’s ‘jams that are literally never discussed on the Bort’ and it’s the OP of a thread. I didn’t add that M2M and the couple 04 shows I couldn’t find. Great jam though.

1 Like

7/1/11 is like a top 3 version of AIT ever. That is not what this thread is all about!

/thread police

1 Like

2/14/09 is the only AIT I would put in front of 7/1/11

Love that 12/29/11 reso, too. That whole show was just magic

Indeed, it did become part of Onward & Upward! And a great jam to boot!

I know Tink’s has had some killer versions over the years, but 1/19/09 is a definite sleeper version – especially since this was the Mantis pre-release webcast and the UMLive was either free or included with the Mantis bonus tiers.

The dance jam is pretty fun but on the short side. Then they really milk the ending and deliver some solid A- guitar theatrics. Type I throughout but strong stuff. Some of the Jake-Myers interplay during the jam is ridiculous (listen for Kris’s fill at 6:35 on the UMLive.)

This Milk is indeed hot. Can’t wait to sift through more recs in here!

Yes that AiT is fucking awesome, but I’d agree with @Random_Ass that it doesn’t seem to get a lot of talk around here, not as much as the Tribute. This whole show is probably on my list of all time favorite shows, what a heater top to bottom.

1 Like

I’ve always loved the 08/10/08 Liquid. Great proggy stew

11.1.14 atypical 40s. Forgot how good this was

2 Likes

09/15/11 Mulches has some serious Bayliss lead stuff

eta: on a big Bayliss kick rn. 1/15/17 Higgins and 7/316 up after that Mulches