Haken

The mountain was my first introduction. Then affinity, then I decided I liked them enough to listen to the older albums. I don’t know if I’ll ever have a “oh shit” moment like I did hearing atlas stone for the first time with any other music again.

I feel like they took themselves was less serious during Aquarius/Visions compared to virus/vector. I love the goofy changes and insane virtuosity.

1 Like

I started with The Mountain and the first guitar solo after the goofy doobado bop bop section sold me.

2 Likes

The Mountain is an almost perfect prog metal album. I highly doubt they’ll come out with something at that level again.

4 Likes

Agreed. I put it up there with Raven as my favorite prog records of the new century

3 Likes

HCE > Raven by a hair, but this isn’t the thread for that. All three albums are modern prog perfection.

3 Likes

Agreed

1 Like

Every thread is the thread for everything. I think I might prefer HCE by a tiny bit as a whole, but I consider Raven to be a better prog record, with better individual song writing, if that makes any sense at all.

Raven is my favorite prog album of all time. Even take out the metal qualifier.

3 Likes

In terms of song structure, I agreed with you. HCE is more cohesive as an album though and I like the overall flow better than The Raven.

1 Like

Should I make @cshore and all of @squeakyfeet do a full Haken discography listen through in the van next week? I’m thinking yes

5 Likes

200w

1 Like

Yea @cshore def would love that

1 Like

Kiesel and Strandberg fam

1 Like

I only listen to bedroom pop

2 Likes

Back onto Haken discussion…

Island in the clouds is quickly growing on me. That Tool-esque bridge gets me going.

2 Likes

Listening to the instrumental version of Fauna today. Catching some nuances I missed under the vocals.

3 Likes

I did that on the way home from sqft last night. Lovebite has a lot more keys hidden under the vocals.

Only song on the album that hasn’t captured me in any way. Yet.

Finally picked up the vinyl

4 Likes