Haken

Summary

Aquarius vibes right from the start of Elephants Never Forget. But it also goes in some new directions.

1 Like

Anyone here preorder the vinyl? If so, where did you order from?

Just picked up my tickets for the SF show. They’re playing at a venue I’ve surprisingly never been to. They opened just before COVID and outside of a Band of Skulls show pre COVID they haven’t had many acts I’ve cared to see. I live on the same street as the venue though so that’s convenient.

Love Charlie’s shirt

3 Likes

Wasn’t able to finish Fauna this morning, but I got through White Rainbow and so far this album is great. I like it so much better than vector/virus.

2 Likes

Beneath the White Rainbow is sick.

1 Like

The part around the 5 min mark of Elephants Never Forget is fucking awesome. NIN vibes.

3 Likes

Yea that part took me totally by surprise. Love the chorus of that song too.

1 Like

Been stuck in my head since I first heard it

1 Like

I thought they’d debut more songs after the release but I guess they are saving them for the US tour.

@solvethebox Have you listened to the whole thing yet?

Yep - I’ve given it one good active listen and a few passive ones. After listening, I think this album is great and falls in the upper middle of my Haken album ranking:

1. The Mountain
  2. Affinity
  3. Fauna
  4. Visons
  5. Aquarium
  6. Vector
  7. Virus
2 Likes

If you asked me right now…

1. The Mountain
  2. Aquarius
  3. Visions
  4. Fauna
  5. Restoration
  6. Affinity
  7. Vector
  8. Virus

Could probably pretty easily flip Aquarius/Visions and Vector/Virus.

2 Likes

Guess I need to listen to the earlier records again. They didn’t really pull me in much when I was first getting into Haken. I’d personally put Vector/Virus way higher up

2 Likes

I like visions a lot but Aquarius is probably my least favorite album. Fauna is sitting #2 behind mountain for me at the moment.

2 Likes

There’s so much quirkiness to the instrumentation and writing on Aquarius that is missing from pretty much all their other albums.

Vector and Virus are just less interesting to me and have less sonic diversity.

1 Like

Agreed, but I think it’s part of why I like them so much

1 Like

I love Virus.

2 Likes

Vector was also the first record I learned when I was getting into the band, so I have a soft spot for it, but Veil > Nil By Mouth will always be an all timer segment for me

1 Like

I understand why fans of the old albums don’t seem to like vector/virus as much. Those two albums really seemed to be the band taking technicality to its furthest limit both in songwriting and production. I also think the lack of a keyboardist for Virus had a part to play in some decisions. Fauna has brought back the quirkiness and some looseness that hasn’t been present since the mountain.

I’m a big vector/virus guy but it’s hard to think of any moments like that last section of Eyes of Ebony on either of those two albums where the band is just kind of chilling out and not throwing a curveball. Even the quiet moments of those two albums always had some ridiculous bass or drum part.

Edit: sorry I think I started out with a point to make but never ended up getting to it.

1 Like

I started with Aquarius and mostly followed the discography in order. The one exception I can recall is I heard Restoration later.

1 Like