Chugging UM / Metal UM

That Billy is one of my top 10 fave UM jams

2 Likes

Oh, he drives me nuts when he does it, too. Ha, I dont blindly fluff bad Phish. No way you could tell me he is overstepping on that Simple or Tweezer, though, unless you just simply to do not like bands style, which is a different conversation, but I know that is not the case with you.

edit: I can promise you one thing, when UM sucks, I am still fun to be around, because I do not care. When Trey aborts shit, it legit makes me angry. I had to leave my friends Saturday, cause I knew they would not want to listen to me bitch about everything they were doing wrong until we at least got back to our hotel.

1 Like

No those are the two best jams I’ve probably heard all year

1 Like

This is my one of my favorite things the band has ever done. Should be on the required listening list for every fan.

2 Likes

Show count is 28

4 Likes

The difference that people don’t talk about is about the number of band members. Speaking from experience, I absolutely love my gigs when I play in an improvised organ trio because I can do whatever I want at any time and not worry about stepping on toes.

In my main 5 piece band I have to be much more conscious of what and where I’m playing, mainly sticking to a specific range of notes so I don’t step all over the rest of the players.

You could make the same comparison between Phish and UM. Trey has less cluttered musical space to work with which means it’s not as obvious if he’s bouncing all over the whole musical range. In UM with 6 people it’s a lot harder on Jake to pay attention to where everyone is at and try to fit into it, and also a lot more noticeable to the ear if he’s stepping on toes

8 Likes

Great explanation, thanks Colin

4 Likes

I’ll add that people who aren’t in one have no idea how hard it can be to improvise in a band that has 2 of the same instrument lol. You absolutely have to give credit to Jake and Bayliss for being incredibly efficient as a duo

10 Likes

This makes a lot of sense, and definitely not something I would ever think about since I am not a musician.

1 Like

7/17/15 Eat

1 Like

Y’all just in this thread talking about chugging cum?

1 Like

3 Likes

Here’s a playlist from this thread thus far.

1 Like

Thanks so much!!!

Throw some more recs up, brother!

I forgot how good that Search 4 is from 10/29/15, also was at that show.

1 Like

I am working on a Pooks picks playlist that doesn’t include the stuff we’ve posted here. Trying not to do repeats

4 Likes

End of 1348 on 8/21/21 has some chugging starting at 10:30

8/30/14 Phils Farm is my favorite chug jam. The B section is also one of my favorite dance grooves

3 Likes

6/30/17 Phil’s has some nice chugging

1 Like