Chugging UM / Metal UM

The track is 32 minutes long, so that’s how I know you’re lying

2 Likes

I like the metal part. Kinda gets boring in the middle for a while. Picks back up once Kris ups the tempo

2 Likes

Forgot about this ending section with the fat bassline around 25 minutes. Definitely the best part of the jam after the first ten minutes of the track.

edit: except Jake comes in with the major when Joel was clearly going minor

I got arrested after this show. Hooray for Ohio!

2 Likes

Damn that sucks homie. I really dig the Newport and Columbus but that is lame.

4-16-2005 Padgett’s has a nasty industrial metal thing going on. That whole show is ridiculous.

3 Likes

@Zencer

Ashland ‘14 KaBump and Domino Theory are very Tool inspired

Also 10/29/15 Search 4 has some sick metal jamming

3 Likes

Yeah I really liked that show and venue regardless of what happened after. The arrest happened in bumfuck Ohio on the way back to Michigan. All over a bowl, we didn’t even have any weed on us.

Gotta love a thread where we talk about how the best UM is when they sound like they are trying to copy another band

3 Likes

The more I think about it, there’s lots of Jake riffs I like, but not many Jake chugs I like.

1 Like

I like the chugs in 1/18/13 linear

1 Like

The second half of this Billy jam is a good example of UM being heavy, while still actually being creative and not just using a crutch when they have no actual unique ideas.

5 Likes

I have no recollection of that show other than it being a much worse version of the 2012 RRX show

It basically was but I liked the linear and Billy jams.

1 Like

One unique thing in this jam compared to most recent UMprov is that the peak was just both guitarists just grooving on their lines instead of switching to solos/dual lead lines. I feel like that’s all they do now.

6 Likes

This was one of their better NYE runs.

1 Like

If we are strictly talking music, and not other factors, it is probably my favorite UM NYE run.

2 Likes

yea, that billy is by no means one of my favorite jams, but it has always been a really good example of UM really working as a unit. Too often, especially in the modern era, I feel like the members have no respect for eachother. Someone is always trying to outshine the other, and that someone is almost always Jake.

2 Likes

Agreed fully. This was 10 days before I turned 21 and this venue was torture for being that close to drinking age. It was like a slap in the face and the hardest test for being the last run of shows I did underage.

This take would be a lot more accurate if you were talking about Trey and Phish but we all know you have ginger colored blinders on for those boys

3 Likes