2024/01/14 - The National - Richmond, VA

6.8/10

1 Like

Triple wide maybe

Domino Theory is my favorite thing I heard all weekend

This is a really stupid stat but that was their 111th time playing that song and it was my 111th show.

I’m gonna have to play it back again

A stat that isn’t stupid. 23 states :scream::scream::scream::scream:

1 Like
1 Like

That’s a cool stat don’t self stat shame

1 Like

This Staircase is kinda cool. Really great example of how BB’s texturing riffs can build a nice stew

1 Like

I remember seeing 40s at my 40th show. Now I’m at 42 states I think. ATU considers DC a state so it says 43. I still need to see shows in Alaska, North Dakota, Mississippi, Delaware, and West Virginia. They have yet to play Hawaii, South Dakota, and Wyoming.

1 Like

I have the same stats basically as you Mike except I’ve seen them in Delaware but not New Mexico and Arkansas…

1 Like

Crooked One jam is excellent, that’s my kind of UM.

3 Likes

Crooked One is definitely great*, love the territory they get into around the 10 min mark or so

1 Like

The National is a cool venue and The Crooked One is fun, love that song.

The rest of the show:

3 Likes

Heard dat. This Crooked One is nice, but in terms of relisten-ability this show doesn’t have much going for it. Norvolk and Raleigh on the other hand… much more

3 Likes

Norfolk is definitely having replay value for me, basically the whole show is great.

Except for Always October. I literally barfed on the soundboard.

3 Likes

I need to relisten to both but except for a couple jams in set 1, it felt like Jake dropping the ball over and over during improv at RVA.
Norfolk had arguably worse setlist and better jamming.
Still had fun’d

1 Like

Richmond just felt flat, like the improv rarely went anywhere. They’d find a groove and it’d be fun but then Jake would noodle a bit and they wouldn’t do anything else with it. Buttered noodles.

Norfolk felt so much more patient and intentional. It was like they were really ‘yes and’ing each other. Someone would add something and the rest would give them space to realize it before moving on.

3 Likes

Classic last night of run. UM runs out of ideas.

3 Likes

At the end of the show Kris actually said he was bored and that he wanted the Goose drummer back.

2 Likes

“Oh no! I hurt my shoulder”

3 Likes