2023/03/03 - McDonald Theater - Eugene, OR

That second jam was great aside from whatever Joel was doing in the peak. Loved the guitar work

1 Like

This is the best/ most consistent they’ve been playing since pre pandemic, 2019 was highly regarded. 2023 has been great so far and wish I could hop on tour more like I used to but I need to pick and choose my battles with family/kids. Hoping to catch some summer shows and fingers crossed for hometown Riverside run.

5 Likes

I wish I was able to see more shows but being married now makes things more complicated. My wife likes UM a little and will see a few shows with me but flying cross country for 3-4 shows solo will probably only happen once every couple of years.

Psyched for Pensacola/Isle of Palms, hopefully 3 nights in AVL happen and whatever fall shows I can go to in the SE if there are any.

5 Likes

Jax 2013 ( @PEN1S_ISLAND ?) had 2 jams I believe

Nothing quite gets there in 2nd set but there are jams everywhere in this show. Even a little micro jam out of Weight Around. DBK > Intentions> DBK has some real chill jazz vibes.

2 Likes

Wasn’t that Jacksonville? Pretty sure it was two jams and the whole - > 40s was like 25/30mins of the set. wasn’t it like HBB, linear > wormbog, WTWIRD - > 40s? Damn it’s been like 10 fuckin years since that shit.

This show looks like a heater. Need to spin this one.

2 Likes

Skimmed the show. World is the sauce. Robot was alright. Rest didnt do much for me. The fluff this year is real.

Setlist is great though (sans Uncommon, god what a bad song) and would obviously have had a good time at this one.

Edit: theres about 3 min of absolute top tier beauty in IC.

Yup jax. And that whole show is pretty good. Small venue too. Was right on top of band standing in balcony

1 Like

Edit: that first set is kinda forgettable but that second set is straight heat.

Yep that venue was TINYYYY. Met some friends at a consider the source show in SAV that were from Jacksonville and they let us party with them that night. They had some pretty solid paper on them and we all dosed right as we walked in. Ended up right next to Andy and we were so close you could basically touch his gear. So much so that randos would come up and play his wind chimes and a couple times he shot me the “don’t do that” eyes as if I was doing it. Got in my head so much that ended up standing like 5 feet away from the “rail” so he knew it wasn’t me. Fun night, existing the venue and then taking a leak in the ocean was a pro move, but being covered in sand the entire rest of the night was not my fave on a head full. I also remember partying after on a basketball court with everyone we went with and I made a half court shot one handed and everyone lost it and the cops ended up driving by bc of the disturbance.

Tl:dr - tiny paper is fun and I used to party.

2 Likes

WTWIRD shoots right up into my top 5 for joty. Good shit

2 Likes

Yea i think its in my top 3. Love how exploratory it is.

3 Likes

After second time through. It honestly might only be behind Philly Silent Type for me

2 Likes

Philly silent type takes the cake for me so far.

The Bend Spires and the WTWIRD are up there. I actually enjoy the Cleveland Fir more than those 2 but it’s no where near as dynamic.

2 Likes

I might even prefer the WTWIRD to the Silent Type after another listen.

Around the 8min mark you can really feel them take a breath, step back, and just let the rest of it come to them.

Havent heard them sound that relaxed in awhile. They are locked in.

5 Likes

This whole NW run so far has felt so patient. The jams don’t feel forced at all. It’s lovely.

1 Like

When I was working out this AM (yeah pretty sick right) I thought that WTWIRD was good not great. Cool jams but felt par for the course

But the only noteworthy cover jams this year have been SII and WTWIRD. And I’m a sucker for the police. So that’s been cool

Don’t sleep on the encore Domino. I know it’s short but it’s straight fire.

2nd set is a lot of fun too although it does suffer a bit from having one or two too many short jams. Still Robot, 40’s, Intentions, and DBK all have some great moments.

2 Likes

Yeah you’d probably would have liked to hear them combined a couple of these shorter jams into 1 more fully fleshed out piece of improv but the show is still pretty outstanding because those shorter jams are often very good. I just wish they didn’t take Uncommon into that heavier territory, that jam kinda got derailed after a really good start.

1 Like

Yeah I’m still working my way through it but expected more from this show by the reviews.

1 Like