2021/11/12 - The Pageant - St Louis, MO

Go to sleep

2 Likes

Dont tell me my bussiness, devil woman. UMPH LOVE!

3 Likes

Finally, a non-UM Bowl 2021 show I look forward to listening to while working this week. The cover in set 2 seems like it would disrupt the flow, but also ZZ Top fux…

3 Likes

Just cut the cover or HD and tack one fatty jam in this set and it would be perfect for 2021 UM

2 Likes

I thought this show was pretty great. Without listening back I can’t really comment on the length/quality of the jams but they were making an effort through out the entire show and there were some nice moments. The Pageant was very undersold - balcony not even open. That’s the first time I can remember that happening since the weekday show in Feb of 2010. This was my first show since Indy 2019 and it felt so good to be back.

1 Like

I know it’s an unpopular opinion here that some of the classic rock stuff UM is into is good, but I’ve been listening to ZZ Top a lot recently and they are legitimately good. The song choice certainly could have been better.

3 Likes

ZZ Top indeed FUX. I’d love to see them do I Need You Tonight sometime. That song rules

Cheap Sunglasses is ok. Ill take it over some covers, but not others. I liked the placement at least in terms of flow. I was wearing my sunglasses pretty close to the rail. I could tell tourgigs bro near me wanted to get a quick shot of me since i was only one in area wearing sunglasses. I instantly told him to not even think about using me as a his cheap Cheap Sunglasses photo bomb

4 Likes

On a side note, if anyone knows Katie Ferguson, her and her now fiance Jack got engaged right before the show, and then her and her brother were like the very first people i saw in that empty ass venue so her pure joy instantly elevated the vibe in the room for me, so that was cool. I like good people smiling.

4 Likes

Just re-listened to Spires, Ringo, Blecho…yep, this is the best show of 2021 to me. They finally topped Atlanta N1. I would say the rest of the top 5 in some order is Resonance N1, Nashville N1 (the February streams), and Red Rocks N2. Interesting N1 trend overall.

1 Like

This show is pretty good. Lots of non annoying Jake throughout this one. Great textural stuff in Ringo that I really dug. I thought Crooked kind of meandered a bit at the end. Dump is sounding great right now but I imagine it’s cut short based on track time. I would’ve loved to be at this one

Lol @ someone yelling “take your hat off Jake!”

You have my full attention.

4 Likes

11 songs with improv, but only the Spires “went for it” IMO. Woulda been okay with 8-9 songs with improv to let the more interesting jams breathe more.

1 Like

Listening Guide:

For more information on this guide, or to make your own check out this topic: Umphreys Live Listening Guide - A Community Project

6 Likes

Friday and Saturday were pretty night-and-day in terms of quality, but still had a pretty great time at both shows. I thought last night was a pretty “bad” show, but really dug the Remind Me and It Doesn’t Matter.

1348 would have been good if they would have realized (i am throwing them a major bone, they knew damn well) they still had 20+ minutes of time to work with in that second set/encore. Thought it was really cool that they did the Played Billy > jam > Billy end > jam. Neither of the jams were that great, but i really dug it.

When I was leaving The Moonrise at like 1:00 AM or so to drive home, I saw Bayliss and some crew talking by the bus. I told him how I thought that was a really cool idea and they should do it again. His ears perked up and he looked genuinely excited that I said that. He then complimented my shirt (ND/Phish combo).

Last night not close to Friday, but it was fun to see them having fun in a venue that I grew up seeing them and many other bands in. I use to tell my mom I was going to study at friends houses on school nights when I was 16 and then drive to The Pageant, get incredily baked, see a show, then hightail back to Springfield as soon as I could. Have seen some incredile shows in that shows over the years. Got some super solid member berries on Friday.

All in all it was a solid weekend. Was also nice to make it through two shows without having a drop of alcohol for the first time in maybe a decade.

4 Likes

Really enjoying listening to this one this morning.

1 Like

This Wappy smokes

3 Likes