2021/07/23 - Northland's - Swanzey, NH

Skimmed through this show today and was impressed with the patience and subtle grooves they develop throughout the show. Walletsworth & Billy were my favorite jams after one listen. Great Attachments too but I think the final chord progression that formed the basis for the peak was a bit generic unfortunately.

Ringo was pretty weird, but not terrible. Very experimental fusion-y jam, not totally succesful but shows they are taking chances.

Little GIft > standard 1348 is real nightmare material but itā€™s hard to hate too much after the rest of the show.

1 Like

I do like the Ringo a lot more on relisten. It can be tough to pick up on the nuances in an outdoor show and the sound wasnā€™t great Jake-side.

Thought it was a ballsy move to start 1348 that late in the set. If they were time aware Idā€™ve thought theyā€™d just cut it and added a JO to Little Gift, however the final chord of Little Gift blends perfectly into the intro of 1348 so I thought that was a cool transition. Donā€™t know when the last standard 1348 was, Mantis Tour? A VIP set? Seems like a standard jam song nowadays so kind of neat to see a standard version given the amount of improv-minutes already in this show.

Neat to see a standard version of a song that always gets jams? Iā€™m not sure about that one

3 Likes

Well I do appreciate they were keeping us on our toes this weekend. Any song seemed to be fair game for improv and a song that always gets improv didnā€™t have any. Thatā€™s always been a gripe with UM and takes the predictability away which makes for a fun time. Although this weekend didnā€™t have any JOTY candidates the surprises helped make up for it. Great light show in OB btw. Hope to see a vid of that pop up.

1 Like

Great banter in between the floor and ringo. I unfortunately was not in attendance (had to go to a wedding) but there were some other chickens from our coop cluckin around.

1 Like

Canā€™t believe you let a wedding interfere with your show count

1 Like

I tried to get out of it but the future mrs. chickenhatguy was having none of it

2 Likes

Only halfway through the first but had to stop and fluff this Walletsworth. Besides being a pleasant surprise, itā€™s a nice locked in groove that flows nicely back into the original. Surprised I havenā€™t seen more talk about it

1 Like

Bron mentioned it. Thatā€™s really all that matters

5 Likes

Donā€™t even really need to listen to it tbh

1 Like

But I did listen to it and I wasnā€™t a yuge fan. Much preferred the Silent Type and Bridgeless

1 Like

Yeah I havenā€™t listened to this show at all. Probably will check out the Wallets and Billy though. Maybe Attachments too, but that final chord progression leading into the peak has me sketched.

Cautiously optimistic of the Ringo. Heard that one was pretty weird. Just hope it doesnā€™t fall apart.

Probably just gonna skip Little Gift > 1348. Something tells me thatā€™s a standardtown segment.

Huh? I want to agree with you because you seem to be flaming UM but do you mean the jam? You said you didnā€™t listen?

3 Likes

The Walletsworth jam has been played before, I have definitely heard it before and itā€™s annoying the hell out of me that I canā€™t ID where it is originally from.

1 Like

It was driving me nuts earlier, I couldnā€™t place the first time it was played either.

1 Like

I honestly love listening to this show. Wallets > Silent Type is pretty fucking sweet as well as Bridgeless and MS. Attachments jam isnā€™t incredible but this Ringo > OB is. Thereā€™s like 20+ mins of improv in that alone.

And MFF > End Bridgeless as encore?! Get out of your parents basement and wake up Sheeple!

But in all seriousness I actually kinda love this show

2 Likes

And if you cut standard 1348 and give Little Gift the 2019 treatment it couldā€™ve been a very special set

Iā€™d say its top 3 for sure, and Attachments was my favorite of the show

Great show. Love all the improv except Ringoā€¦ not my cup of tea. Sounds awkward.