2021/07/23 - Northland's - Swanzey, NH

I’m pretty sure Morning Song, Walletsworth and a bit of the Ringo are all repeated jams which leaves a bad taste in my mouth for some reason. Seems lazy to do 3 repeats in one set, thankfully, they’re all very good jams.

1 Like

I feel violated that a mod edited my post without my consent

I suppose ignorance is bliss, but yeah if they are carbon copy previously used jams I would be annoyed, especially seeing it live

Im not ready to call the Wallets a repeat until we can find its origins. Not saying Im confident its not a repeat, but I’ve certainly never heard it before.

Morning Song riff has been played countless times (BLBC - 2011/02/11 being one of the most famous “Den riffs”). I do like the slow groove of this one though. Where in Ringo?

I’ve got a pretty long day of driving ahead of me, I’ll do my best to find it.

Weirdo.

1 Like

The A section of this Wallets is definitely a repeat. I can’t place it right off the top of my head but I’ll have to dig around a bit.

Haven’t made it to Morning song yet, but it’s interesting that both Prowler and Wallets improv started immediately with a ‘composed’ section. It makes the transitions out of the songs more jarring (IMO) when they try to drop on a dime into something entirely different.

2 Likes

This Wallets is really gonna bug me. I can hear the next part of the original in my head but can’t place it

Agree with all of this. Silent type was too short but I really liked it. I was trying to make dinner and stopped what I was doing to have a dance party in the kitchen.

2 Likes

7.3 Cause for Alarm > 7.23 Billy

2 Likes

This Billy is killer. Still think they could have crushed the peak a little longer and it would be the JOTY but as it is it’s still top tier for 2021. Sucker for the Jake chugs

Gonna listen to that SF at work today

3 Likes

This show is the first recent Umphrey’s show I’ve listened to more than once.

2 Likes

Hell yeah bro

1 Like

Legit

1 Like

9 pieces of improv (including 3 in places where it “never” happens {Prowler, Wallets, Morning Song}), most of it quality… Has to be a real strong contender for show of the year 2021…

1 Like

Finally getting around to this second set. Some good stuff here in this Attachments and OB. I dig this Ringo as well.

For everyone who shits on UM being so structured and formulaic with their improv, this Ringo is a perfect example of them “going for it and falling on their face.” I do love the @cshore jams but this one is definitely falling apart through most of it. Still love when they do this though.

Definitely one of the better shows in a down year. LG > standard 1348 is a pretty brutal way to end the show. They did jam a lot throughout this one but just cut one of those and jam the other.

that’s called cshore jam deluxe

1 Like

Hey if y’all liked the rrx virtue I can like this Ringo

Yeah for sure but I would probably still say 4/30, 5/1, 5/7, 6/19, and 6/25 (probably SOTY for me) are just a little bit better.

To @gatroe’s point, I definitely think this is a “down” year because for whatever reason the improv just is not getting there. Overall the band is playing extremely competently, they are playing a lot of jams, and none of the shows have been total duds, there is just the missing piece of the improv delivering in a big way. Also feels like a lot of first set jams they are just trying to conserve Kris’ energy for 2nd set.

2 Likes