UM "You Pick 2" Tier List

Is this gonna take a long time?

Fuck I love jam bands

6 Likes

Only saying this in case you’re interested. Not going to push for it to be done here.

The type of data you’re collecting are ordinal, not continuous. That is, there is an order to the ratings but the space between ratings is meaningless. Compare that to continuous numbers where there is infinite space between then. Doing operations such as mean and standard deviation on this type of data isn’t best practice because the data aren’t fit for those operations.

The top reply in this post might explain it better.

D tier to me. The jam is the same 3-4 min jam 9 out of 10 times. It used to be A or B tier in 2011-2013

I agree with this. Each song is an ordinal data set that I have to ascribe integer values to so I can get a numerical result allowing me to compare the various ordinal data sets. Standard deviation equations are an improper method of comparison because they treat deviation from the mean as having a high level of deviation (ie 19 people voted “s” and 1 person votes “a” then the deviation is 9, but if it was 11 and 9 instead then the deviation is 1 even though we all would agree the first example shows a greater degree of consensus).

You also can’t just say “we’ll treat it like the higher the deviation the greater the consensus” because that doesn’t account for outliers at the ends of the spectrum. For example 10 “s” votes and 10 “f” votes has the same deviation as 10 “b” votes and 10 “c” votes even though obviously the second scenario shows greater consensus.

The formula I pulled is from a scientific paper titled “analyzing ordinal data with respect to extrema”

Here’s an example of that formula in action:
Data set 1 = 9 votes A, 1 vote B, 1 vote C, 9 votes D
Data set 2 = 1 vote A, 9 votes B, 9 votes C, 1 vote D
Both 20 votes with the majority at the extremes for sample 1 and the middle for sample 2. We would all agree sample 2 has higher consensus. The standard deviation on both is exactly the same at 4, but the consensus equation works out to .0737 for 1 and .6633 for 2, which is a significant increase and therefore higher degree of consensus

5 Likes

Hell yeah, taking care of business. Sorry if you said what algorithm you were using before and it didn’t SU&R and DMOR.

I didn’t mention the paper I pulled it from or anything like that, figured it was already too nerdy for a dbmb lol

1 Like

All the polls should be done and the stats posted around end November or early December. You only need to check in here once a week to vote on polls since they’re up for 7 days

Fuck yeah, this is the greatest post I’ve ever read on any iteration of -Bort.

5 Likes
Song: Den
  • S
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • F

0 voters

Song: Der Bluten Kat
  • S
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • F

0 voters

Song: Divisions
  • S
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • F

0 voters

Den was tough to rate. That’s a great stew, but as a song it’s just not something I want to hear most of the time. Also I feel like every time they play Den at a show, the show is effectively over from that point on. “We’re done jamming, here, have a canned jam with a big peak.” So between that and its non-songness, I went D.

DBK is very close to S tier for me.

C for Den, S for DBK…Den is enjoyable but its always the same. DBK got an S bc it has spawned some of my favorite improv through the years and it’s a classic UM tune. It’s more miss than hit improv-wise for me personally the last few years.

1 Like
Song: Domino Theory
  • S
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • F

0 voters

Song: Draconian
  • S
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • F

0 voters

Song: Dump City
  • S
  • A
  • B
  • C
  • D
  • F

0 voters

Domino is a fun song and when a set is already good with some good jams, I don’t mind a quick 10ish minute Domino. But when the set isn’t cooking and then you get Domino and you know it’s only gonna have a quick jam, it can be pretty unsatisfying

6/29/14

1 Like

3/12/14 Domino Theory FTMFW

3 Likes