Today in Umphrey's McGee History

:fire: thanks for this. great rec! 10/10 replay value.

THE EAGLES BALLROOM
MILWAUKEE, WI

Set 1: Divisions > Memphis Underground > Professor Wormbog, The Haunt > Utopian Fir > Dear Lord > Utopian Fir, Go to Hell[1], Prowler > Divisions

Set 2: Ocean Billy > The Crooked One[2], Eminence Front > Cemetery Walk > Cemetery Walk II, Gulf Stream > Resolution > Ocean Billy

Encore: Preamble > Mantis

[1] debut, original; originally called Cold Smoke
[2] “Jimmy Stewart” with lyrics

Really fun show. This was the 1st time I ever remember Wormbog getting a jam, but there may be something I missed on that. The Crooked One & Eminence segment was f’n outstanding. Good times!

3 Likes

Eminence Jimmy Stewart is so great. One of my favorite dance jams they’ve done

Whole show is really good from start to finish.

10.04.2018 THE CROSSROADS KC, KANSAS CITY, MO, USA
Set 1: Glory > Walletsworth, Remind Me, Room to Breathe, Preamble > Mantis > No Diablo, Day Nurse > Mantis

Set 2: Conduit > Phil’s Farm > Cherub Rock, Der Bluten Kat > Final Word > Mullet (Over) > Der Bluten Kat, Make It Right

Encore: When the World Is Running Down You Make the Best of What’s Still Around

Support: Sunsquabi

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VMYAEHE2GrM

HOUSE OF BLUES
CHICAGO, IL

Set 1: Dump City, Roulette, Soul Food I > White Man’s Moccasins, Smell the Mitten > Push the Pig[1] > Headphones & Snowcones[2] > Divisions > Visions > Divisions > Glory > Divisions

Set 2: The Triple Wide > Resolution[3] > Utopian Fir[4] > Hangover[5], JaJunk -> Padgett’s Profile > 13 Days > Padgett’s Profile, Hey Nineteen -> Uncommon > In Violation of Yes[6]

Encore: Prowler > The Crooked One

[1] ended with Jake on drums and Mike on marimba at front of the stage; with True Romance “love theme” (Jan Hammer) jam
[2] debut, original; with Jake on drums and Mike on marimba at front of the stage
[3] with Killing in the Name Of (Rage Against the Machine) and One (Metallica) quotes, Wake Up Dead (Megadeth) tease
[4] with Imperial March (John Williams); Ain’t Talkin’ 'bout Love, Hot for Teacher (Van Halen); Whole Lotta Love, Stairway to Heaven, In My Time of Dying (Led Zeppelin); Reveille; Dough Bro; Born Under A Bad Sign (Albert King); Cherub Rock (Smashing Pumpkins)
[5] with Wherever I May Roam and One (both Metallica) tease
[6] with Continuum (Jaco Pastorius) and Portrait of Tracy (Jaco Pastorius) teases by Jake
Support: OM Trio

THE BARRYMORE THEATRE
MADISON, WI

Set 1: Intro[1] > Kabump[2] > Walletsworth, Syncopated Strangers, Wappy Sprayberry[3] -> Phil’s Farm

Set 2: Sociable Jimmy[4] > Out Of Order, Hajimemashite[5] > Peter Gunn / Every Breath You Take[6] -> Get In The Van, Bass solo > Bullhead City[7], Visions[8], Ringo[9]

Set 3: All In Time[10], JaJunk > Hurt Bird Bath[11] > Big Heart

Encore: Father and Son[12], Pay the Snucka[13]

[1] with Der Bluten Kat teases
[2] with Anchor Drops teases
[3] with Tradition (from Fiddler On the Roof) (Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick) teases and quotes
[4] with Mike on steel drums, Jake on drums, and Brendan on percussion; ended with Gulam Sabri (Garaj Mahal) jam
[5] ended with Dr. Feelgood (Mötley Crüe) jam
[6] debut, Henry Mancini/The Police; a la first episode Sopranos, season three
[7] with Brendan and Jake on acoustic; with Elliott Peck
[8] with Brendan and Jake on acoustic
[9] with Jake on acoustic
[10] with different intro section; includes Close Encounters of the Third Kind theme (John Williams) and Merrily We Roll Along (Tobias, Mencher, and Cantor) teases
[11] with Thunderstruck (AC/DC) and Jumpin’ Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones) teases
[12] debut, Cat Stevens; just Jake and Brendan on stage on acoustics
[13] with Tradition quote from Brendan

Forgot to make a post about the H.O.B. show yesterday. What an amazing 2 night run this was. I remember the excitement when we heard the news that UM decided to do a 3 set show at the Barrymore when we rolled into Madison. What a treat that was. The Chicago show was so f’n good, then they just managed to absolutely destroy Madison that next night. Such great memories of all those shows from the early years at the Barrymore. What a great place to see young, upcoming bands.

1 Like

10.06.2018 “THE BIG WEEKEND” ARAGON BALLROOM, CHICAGO, IL, USA
Set 1: Dump City, Maybe Someday, Spires > Partyin’ Peeps, Seasons, Slacker, Syncopated Strangers > Bright Lights, Big City[1] > Syncopated Strangers

Set 2: Forks, In The Kitchen[2] > Half Delayed, Roctopus, Women Wine and Song > Rocker Part 2, August

Encore: Live and Let Die[3]

[1] instrumental version
[2] unfinished
[3] with It’s About That Time (Miles Davis) jam

One of the worst UM shows I have ever seen

It’s up there for me too. It’s not like I didn’t have any fun but nothing I’d go back and listen to. I think the Kitchen and WW&S were decent though. Nothing really memorable at all in the first set.

Why was it the worse Ump Show for you?

Crappy set list, crappy flow, no good jams, the aragon blows, the band was clearly just phoning it in and going through the motions. Just an all around very disappointing show.

So far, its been better than some festival sets i’ve seen. No monster improv yet, but ya know

Pretty standard for a Chicago show

So glad I went to Leftover Salmon at Park West that night. Salmon > Spafford was the correct move. I thought the Madison show the night before was great, love the tinkles even though its short. The second set is pretty decent. Slyvee is a cool venue too

2 Likes

Yea, I knew I should have gone to Leftover. Had a blast at Spafford after, though.

i was thankful for headphones at that big weekend show.

had my first weiner’s circle experience post-show.

1 Like

With all the great shows that happened over the years at the Rave/Eagles, there are shows that get swept under the carpet & essentially forgotten about. This is def one of those shows, but it had some great stretches throughout both sets. I remember really enjoying the 1st set that night.

THE RAVE UNDERGROUND
MILWAUKEE, WI

Set 1: Hangover, Roulette, Divisions[1], Ringo[2] > Blue Echo > Tonight I’m Gonna Rock You Tonight, Der Bluten Kat[3]

Set 2: Bright Lights, Big City > #5 > The Bottom Half, Seven Bridges Road[4], 2x2 > Ocean Billy, Nopener[5], Syncopated Strangers[6], In The Kitchen

Encore: Power of Soul

[1] with Third Stone from the Sun (Jimi Hendrix) tease
[2] with My Name Is Mud (Primus) tease
[3] with The Ocean (Led Zeppelin) tease
[4] debut, The Eagles; one verse only
[5] with The End (The Doors) tease
[6] with Sweet Child o’ Mine (Guns N’ Roses) tease

Notes:
with The Ocean (Led Zeppelin) tease before Der Bluten Kat

1 Like

10.09.2008 NORTHERN LIGHTS, CLIFTON PARK, NY, USA

Set 1: Get In The Van, 13 Days, Soul Food I > Plunger > Pay the Snucka

Set 2: Bridgeless > Sociable Jimmy, Dump City, Cherub Rock, Ringo, Thin Air

Encore: Plunger[1] > Bridgeless

[1] with Soul Food II intro containing Roundabout (Yes) teases
Support: Conspirator and Electron

Not sure if this was the first Moog guitar show, but I seem to recall from reports on bort 1.0 that Jake played it the entire show. Hot one. 13 Days is opened up (!), great version of Plunger, solid hams in Snucka, Ringo, and Bridgeless…just a lot of good old fashioned 2008 shit here.

Also, brb, gonna see if the opening Conspirator and Electron sets are on archive.

2 Likes

Certainly a top 10 show for me. My favorite show of the year behind 04/03. I think he played the Moog prior to this show but you’re right about the 1.0 reports. Wasn’t it one of Waful’s first shows with the band?

10.11.2008 Higher Ground, South Burlington, VT, USA
Set 1: JaJunk[1], 2nd Self, Search 4, Morning Song, Eat

Set 2: Wappy Sprayberry > Higgins > Kabump > Higgins, Can’t You Hear Me Knocking, Blue Echo > Wife Soup

Encore: Mulche’s Odyssey

[1] “Jimmy Stewart” with lyrics

My 50th was a few nights later. Very standard 1st set other than the 26 minute JaJunk (quantity is not quality here) and Eat closer. The JaJunk improv is an aimless mess for the first half but culminates with a decent lyrical from BB/Jake. I haven’t seen many lyricals with Jake contributing vox. The Eat jam is quite frenetic and features some nice dual guitar work. Definitely worth checking out.

Set 2 has improv in everything except for CYHMK and Soup but the only highlights for me are Blecho and I suppose Kabump. Really enjoy the mood of this Blecho. The Wappy is interesting though cause it feels like the tempo is slower than usual. Bayliss’ vocals just kind of drag on this one.

Overall a pretty average show for 08.

That’s the only time we’ve visited Burlington and it’s absolutely beautiful. Peak leaf season really contributed to the experience.

P.S. This Conspirator late-night show from DUMB ter was fucking incredible. Don’t think there’s an archive unfortunately.

3 Likes