Today in Umphrey's McGee History

A day (or two) late but damn these were great shows and an awesome little fest. The N1 IC is so good and definitely a GOAT version of Kitchen N2 to close.

08.25.2007 RIVERVIEW MUSIC FESTIVAL, CHICAGO, IL, USA

Set 1: Wife Soup, JaJunk > Intentions Clear > JaJunk, Bad Poker[1], Thin Air[2]

Set 2: The Crooked One[3] > Tribute to the Spinal Shaft -> The Crooked One[4] -> Pay the Snucka -> Hangover[4] > Pay the Snucka, Words

Encore: Let Me Go Home, Whiskey[5], Wizard Burial Ground

[1] with Mike Rackey on pedal steel and Cody Dickinson on washboard
[2] with Luther Dickinson on guitar
[3] ended with Nothing Too Fancy teases
[4] unfinished
[5] with Nick Kovach on harmonica and Mike Rackey on pedal steel

Purchase via UMLive : 08.25.2007, Riverview Music Festival, Chicago, IL

08.26.2007 RIVERVIEW MUSIC FESTIVAL, CHICAGO, IL, USA

Set 1: Dump City, 40’s Theme, Atmosfarag > Phil’s Farm[1] > Walking On The Moon[2] > Front Porch[3]

Set 2: Bridgeless > 2x2, Padgett’s Profile[1] -> White Man’s Moccasins, I Ran > Bridgeless

Encore: In The Kitchen[4]

[1] unfinished; with Brendan on percussion
[2] with Willie Waldman on trumpet
[3] with Jake on keys and Brendan on percussion
[4] with Brendan on percussion; with Another One Bites the Dust (Queen) and Nachos For Two teases

Purchase via UMLive : 08.26.2007, Riverview Music Festival, Chicago, IL

1 Like

I was at N2. Such a random location, and 13 years later now that I am an old I drive by there all the time and it always reminds me of how awesome the Front Porch and Kitchen were.

Haha yeah, I was a freshman in college at the time and didn’t really feel like I was in Chicago at all. Good old Devry/Lane Tech.

Definite bummer Riverview didn’t continue to be a thing. This would be the tail end of summer between my 1st and 2nd year of college. Did 10KLF in July then came down and did RATM on 8/24 at Alpine and then these two Riverview shows with my HS buddies. What a fucking weekend.

1 Like

09.07.2006 THE INTERSECTION, GRAND RAPIDS, MI, USA

Set 1: Walletsworth, Intentions Clear > Nothing Too Fancy -> Orfeo, Plunger, Bad Poker, Señor Mouse

Set 2: JaJunk, The Pequod > Amazing Grace > The Pequod > Amazing Grace > Take It to Church > White Man’s Moccasins, Cherub Rock, The Fussy Dutchman, Push the Pig[1] > Nothing Too Fancy

Encore: Higgins[2]

[1] began with In My Time of Dying (Led Zeppelin) tease; with Jake on keys
[2] with Paradise City (Guns n’ Roses) tease

Notes:
with Over the Rainbow (Harold Arlen and Yip Harburg) quote from Kris before The Fussy Dutchman

This was the last time I ever made a serious effort to be near the front of the crowd. Still one of the best versions Jajunk, IMHO.

1 Like

Oh man, I was there. That show fucking smoked…amazing JaJunk. Fancy was super hot too iirc and phenomenal song selection.

This was supposed to be my second show but it sold out the night of and my 18 year old self wasn’t aware a finger in the air would have got me in there so I didn’t GITV from East Lansing. Man, the Intersection featured some great shows…Grand Rapids in general is a good place to see the band. I would love to catch them do a three night run there at some point. Two nights for that matter. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for this! Only at N2F and raging. Really looking forward to that Junk.

1 Like

Shows like this are why some are jaded. :fire:06.

1 Like

September 8, 2001
Jimmy Stewart Room

7 Likes

Happy anniversary?

3 Likes

Today is the day you finally post the link to DL this one, right?

4 Likes

He’s probably saving it for his 20th anniversary next year.

1 Like

I’m cool with that, congrats on 19 @jwelsh8!

2 Likes

Congratulations

2 Likes

And thanks for putting up with our nonsense.

5 Likes

Thank you!

CC @PattyMelt @ass

1 Like

09.13.2003 THE BARRYMORE THEATRE, MADISON, WI, USA

Set 1: In The Kitchen > Get In The Van, Thin Air, Dump City[1], 2x2, JaJunk[2] > Andy’s Last Beer

Set 2: Paradise City[3] > Slacker[4] > Miss Tinkle’s Overture[5] > Mulche’s Odyssey, #5 > 2nd Self, The Crooked One > Out Of Order -> Visions[6] > Mullet (Over)

Encore: Pearl Necklace[7] > Rhiannon[8] > 40’s Theme

[1] with Refugee (Tom Petty) tease
[2] with Thunderstruck (AC/DC) jam
[3] debut, Guns N’ Roses; two verses and chorus
[4] unfinished
[5] with Underworld (Super Mario Brothers) theme (Koji Kondo), Nachos for Two, and (Don’t Fear) The Reaper (Blue Öyster Cult) teases
[6] the lights went out for about three minutes
[7] debut, ZZ Top; one verse and chorus; with Wesley Willis quote by Brendan
[8] debut, Fleetwood Mac; one verse and chorus

Notes:
with Nachos for Two tease before JaJunk

Really great show. I miss seeing shows at the Barrymore.

09.13.2007 THE ORPHEUM THEATRE, MADISON, WI, USA

Set 1: Much Obliged > Utopian Fir[1] -> Mulche’s Odyssey, Alex’s House > End of the Road, Example 1

Set 2: In a Silent Way > Blue Echo > Walletsworth[2] > Blue Echo, I Want You (She’s So Heavy), Partyin’ Peeps > #5 -> Partyin’ Peeps, Smell the Mitten

Encore: All In Time > Mercy, Mercy, Mercy[3] > All In Time

[1] with Spirits In the Material World (The Police) teases
[2] “Jimmy Stewart” with lyrics
[3] debut, Joe Zawinul

Notes:
Mercy, Mercy, Mercy was played in remembrance of Joe Zawinul
last In a Silent Way 09.11.2005 (259 shows)

My 100th show & an amazing way to kick off a really great 3 night run. This was overall the best of the 3 shows, IMO, but the Canopy Club the next night had some serious next level moments.

NEVER FORGET

2008/09/13 - Mulberry Mountain - Ozark, AR

Set 1: Slacker, Der Bluten Kat[1] > Atmosfarag > Der Bluten Kat[2], Mullet (Over)

Set 2: Front Porch[3] > Resolution[4] > Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)[5], Young Lust, Nothing Too Fancy > FF > Higgins

Encore: August > Nothing Too Fancy[6] > The Song Remains the Same[7]

[1] “Jimmy Stewart” with lyrics
[2] with Willie the Pimp (Frank Zappa) jam and Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin) and Xxplosive (Dr. Dre) teases
[3] with Jake on drums and Kris on vocals for a portion
[4] with Norwegian Wood (The Beatles) jam; with Bill McKay on keys
[5] debut, Sly and the Family Stone; with Bill McKay on keys
[6] with The Triple Wide tease
[7] with The Rain Song (Led Zeppelin) ending