The Psych / Garage / Lo-Fi Thread

Rose City Band just released a single from their upcoming album being released in May. Digging the new tune and just preordered the record.

For anyone unfamiliar, I thoroughly enjoyed their self titled release last year. Know I mentioned on the old bort but will repost here. Rose City is a Portland based project of Wooden Shjips/Moon Duo guitarist, Ripley Johnson. Self described as a “psychedelic country jam band” their self titled debut is a “mellow mix of hazy, textural space rock and Grateful Dead-indebted cosmic country.”

2 Likes

Oh nice. I just discovered Moon Duo and really dug that stuff so I’ll give this a whirl too. Thanks!

1 Like

thanks for the rec, really digging the album and single. these guys play out at all?

1 Like

I don’t believe they have ever played a live show. At first it was kind of a secret/anonymous project for Ripley Johnson. Then he tied his name to Rose City as the producer of the band’s first release and later it was also revealed that Ripley was actually responsible for the large majority of vocals/instruments on the album with a rotating cast of friends filling in the gaps. Knowing all of this I’m not sure if Ripley ever intends on touring or playing shows… but I’d certainly be extremely interested if they do.

This album has got a couple of gems on it. really interesting production throughout the entire thing. If you dont feel like listening to the whole things, listen to these tracks:

• Blue Rose
  • Miki Dora
  • L.A.

Also, Vetiver kicks ass. Go listen to them, now.

Karl Blau wrote a beautiful melancholy country album. This song is my favorite off of that album:

1 Like

Really been digging a lot of Vetiver’s stuff lately. I think Complete Strangers is probably my favorite at the moment.

you would. we’re always listening to similar shit, haha.

1 Like

Rose city band is a really great listen. That album rips! Hope they have some more music in the works.

1 Like

Glad you dig it. I actually listened to the full album again yesterday. Can’t wait for the new one next month.

5/15!

1 Like

Dusted off this album over the weekend. Love it.

I like the song “As I walk away” by Yuck but ive never really dived into the rest of their stuff

Their debut was so good, but the original lead singer/main songwriter quit and the second album kind of sucked, so I stopped paying attention to them. Just gave that track a spin and it’s definitely good. If you dig As I Walk Away, you’ll like the s/t a lot. I think the second album was a lot slower and just seemed to drag on forever. I’m gonna give it a relisten now, why TF not.

Ty Segall & Freedom Band live album, Deforming Lobes, is only $9.79 on vinyl at Amazon right now FYI.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MWXGD32/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_aKWLEbNF1FXHV

Anyone ever get into Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever? A few of their songs have popped up on my Spotify Discover lists over the years. Running through their complete playlist this morning and really enjoying it.

1 Like

a friend got me into these guys. Love the track French Press.

so apparently “post punk” is a genre. I’m into it:

Good track

Lo-Fi socal/southwest flavored garage rock

Posted this in the What Are You Listening to thread but the the Chunky Shrapnel live release is legit. Love it.