The First Time You Heard UM

Only when I get into my wife’s White Claws.

8 Likes

Bad decisions all around there. Never take the “wife’s” claws or listen to GVF

3 Likes

It was a bad time in my life. Wait till I tell stories of when I was a face painted juggalo. Now that was real bad.

7 Likes

This is honestly the perfect response.

2 Likes

I think I just saw Bort mentioned in a comment, and thought I’d look into it. I’ve been wanting find boards like this so I can find out a little more about UM. I’ve been meaning to ask if there’s any kind of Umph 101 thread. How can you tell who wrote the setlist based on listening? The hand signals? Why are some folks only into pre 2008 UM? Shit like that.

4 Likes

This’ll get you going on some of those questions

https://the-bort.com/t/jimmy-stewart-write-up-thanks-to-jon-mclennand-mcl

3 Likes

@UMFree

3 Likes

2011 was their best year don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. But 04-08 had some amazing runs of shows and the reason I got into them in the first place.

1 Like

I used to think so. But the more I listen to '08, the more I think its my favorite year of UM.

As to the @SchladopianFir point of why, a lot of the UM old heads jumped ship when Mantis came out. The band went in a different direction and it turned a lot of people off.

1 Like

I’ll admit that one of my favorite shows is 'Roo 04. They sounded so fucking amped and the BLBC will always have me dancing. 2011 is definitely my favorite year. So many good IC, Cem Walk II, MO, ITK, etc, etc. As a whole, I’m into the electro/untz, Toolish, and super funky stuff and I feel like I enjoy more of that post-2008.

5 Likes

I can see why. However, I love what a lot of Mantis has turned into, live versions wise.

1 Like

For sure. Probably my fav UM album.

Jk, I’m the same way. But enjoy your sacred rose silent type

4 Likes

I might actually skree like a little girl if they play that. But I’ll show tiddy for an old school, funky Hangover.

2 Likes

I’m gonna have an old school funky hangover in the morning

2 Likes

I like this guy

5 Likes

Lol likewise. My adult ADHD required more attention tonight.

Bonnaroo '04 is a perfect introduction to the band. I have the setlist tattooed on my brain from listening to it so much in the glory days. That and 12/31/02.

1 Like

The first time that I “listened” to UM or really ever heard of them was at the Bug Summer Classic in Philly in 05. It was a scorcher that day, so I was in the AC tent for the entire UM and Michael Franti sets as they were the two that I didn’t care at all about. Ha!!

I remember my friend telling me they were like a “harder, less jammy Moe.” And we should skip. :joy:

Edit: and ironically, BY FAR my two favorite bands from the tour are UM and a band that plays like 3 local shows a year now (New Monsoon)

2 Likes