The Artist Evaluation Thread

You misspelled Big Boat.
Well, they’re both pretty bad.

3 Likes

Yea, flip a coin. The songs I like on Big Boat, though, I like more than the song I like on Fuego

3 Likes

Artist: Metallica

Best Album: Master of Puppets

Worst Album: Lulu/St. Anger

#1 Overrated Song: Sad But True (Enter Sandman ALWAYS fux’s)

#1 Underrated Song: Escape (and Outlaw Torn - was awesome seeing that live)

1 Like

Artist: R.E.M.

Best album: Fables of the Reconstruction

Worst album: Out of Time

#1 overrated song: Shiny Happy People

#1 underrated song: You Are The Everything

————————————————————

While I’m a metal head first and foremost, I hold R.E.M. in very high regard. My first exposure to them came in ‘85 (interestingly enough, the same year I discovered Metallica) thanks to KLBJ-FM in Austin, TX. They played Fables of the Reconstruction in its entirety one night and I was instantly hooked. The rest, as they say, is history.

I picked Out of Time for worst album because outside of Radio Song and Losing My Religion, I can’t stand the rest of the album.

You Are The Everything is very underrated. I love the mandolin on there and it reminds of an 80s alt take on The Battle of Evermore. On the other hand, I DO love the Green album in it’s entirety. It’s a very close 2nd to Fables.

2 Likes

I think Joy is worse.

I have a similar history, recorded an entire album off of the radio onto a cassette tape from the local college radio station. Except in my case the album was “Reckoning”.

“Shiny Happy People” aside, “Out of Time” isn’t terrible. But like the Beatles, it’s hard to pick album that was just an abysmal sounding failure. It’s far easier to point to a band like U2 that completely changed their musical style as opposed to one that simply added a pop element to their very recognizable sound. I would also give “Automatic for the People” a runner up award for their best album.

1 Like

Artist: KoЯn

Best Album: Follow the Leader*

Worst Album: The Path of Totality

#1 Overrated Song: Get Up! (f. Skrillex)

#1 Underrated Song: Hey Daddy

*Their first five albums all hold some merit and a case could be made for each of these in their own way.

2 Likes

Out of Time is an acquired taste. It’s very different from their other albums. It just never jived with me. But I agree on the awesome of Automatic for the People

1 Like

Artist: The Police

Best Album: Synchronicity

Worst Album: Outlandos d’Amour

#1 Overrated Song: Every Breath You Take

#1 Underrated Song: Omega Man

This was actually really challenging with only 5 albums to pick from. I think Synchronicity without a doubt has the most quality songs and is the most complete album even if I enjoy the overall raw sound from Reggatta de Blanc a hair more. Mother is the only annoying song on that entire album. And don’t get me wrong I still appreciate most of Outlandos d’Amour, but there are a few lame songs on the second side (Be My Girl - Sally and Born in the 50s).

2 Likes

How do you not put Creep for most overrated?

Hard agree with pretty much everything here. I do think there are quite a few sleepers on Reggatta but I’m fine with Omegaman in that spot. Copeland is God

Edgy take

1 Like

I could get behind that. I’d probably throw Tonight, Tonight in there as well.

The best Police album is the live album from their 2007 tour.

Holy shit. Synchronicity is easily the worst album IMO. Not even close. Reggatta de Blanc is #1. The first three are clearly better than the last two.

1 Like

Synchronicity is a Sting solo album masquerading as a Police album.

1 Like

Nah dawg

Synchronicity
Reggatta
Zenyatta
GITM
Outlandos

1 Like

There are some fucking horrible sting songs on that album

But I still like them

Don’t get me wrong I love the bangers on Reggatta de Blanc more than anything on Synchronicity, especially in the live setting, I just think there’s a few filler songs on the back half. I appreciate some of those Stew songs but I don’t think he’s nearly as good of a lyricist as Sting.

1 Like

Actually god damnit I might agree with @AlexTheDictator

Reggatta is so damn good

1 Like