Summer Camp 2020

You don’t want to pay $25 to watch sets that have been on youtube for 6 years?

5 Likes

Lol you guys are brutally negative about this. In a year where tons of artists and festivals are going to lose a ton of money, I don’t blame them for trying to recoup some of it. It’s not like $8/day is really going to break the bank. And it has the potential to be presented nicely, with day shows being shown during the day and night shows at night, with the artist interviews sprinkled throughout.

I have no love lost for Jay Goldberg, but it’s a cool idea and it’ll be nice to have this easily accessible on the weekend that it normally would have taken place. I, for one, am interested in tuning in, but have no interest in pulling all the YouTube links to make it happen.

It’s not being negative, it’s ridiculous to me they are charging money for this. I’m almost 100% certain none of this money is going to go to a good cause. I could at least get behind a donation to the front line workers or to the bands involved. Not directly into that POS Goldberg’s pocket.

Fair points, for sure. Was hoping at least a portion would go to some of the bands, but I suppose that’s wishful thinking. Either way, plenty of people will eat it up, so it would be foolish from a business perspective (and only that perspective) to not pursue that market.

That said, it’s being broadcasted on Live From Out There, which was set up entirely to help out musicians. So maybe there’s hope.

Have to agree with @RedBirdBath here. Y’all are ridiculously negative. Most the time it’s funny. In this instance it’s lazy and entitled. Live music is an industry with razor thing margins. It’s reasonable for people in that industry to try and do something to generate an income.

There’s quite a bit of conjecture being thrown around that people are treating as facts. There will be archival footage that is not on youtube. Just because you are “almost 100% certain none of this money is going to a good cause” does not make it so. A donation to the front line workers? If there are people putting in time and effort to this and they are getting paid for their time is that not a good cause? Or is it only a good cause if money is donated to people that would have worked the festival anyway? If there are live streams, whether or not it’s a 6th tier jam band, there is a strong possibility the artists are getting paid for it.

$25 is reasonable for three days. This is obviously an undertaking that requires more than Goldberg himself. The other people working on it should to get paid. Curious how many people on the bort work for free?

I’m sure plenty of you will take offense or tear this response apart. Oh well. I’ve said my piece. Enjoy your weekend.

2 Likes

Who do you work for?

10 Likes

Goldberg_4_LYFE

3 Likes

Alright let’s bring some more negative attitudes to this thread. Why would anyone spend their time watching reruns of festival sets, instead of day drinking out in the backyard with friends grilling out on a nice sunny memorial day weekend.

2 Likes

Because we shouldn’t be grilling with friends this Memorial Day weekend.

4 Likes

And also, it’s possible to do both. We’re going to grill and have a screen near us while we drink and (hopefully) enjoy the weather.

What’s this negative stigma about watching old shows, anyway? I’d think people here would know better than most that it IS possible to enjoy watching something that happened in the past. My bad if the OP was being facetious.

(Not directed at you, just adding to your point.)

I think the negative stigma is charging for old shows. Personally I just like taking potshots at people in the music industry.

1 Like

Me but only because I’m stupid

5 Likes

It’s called being charitable and people only do it for sheep points.

2 Likes

My two cents on the scamp thing. I think it is awesome they are trying to do something that can provide entertainment for fans, and more importantly give some help to some of the artists and staff. That said, everyone has been giving away free streams lately, so if you are going to charge you should 100% specify who is live, and who is just a replay. Also, people are stressed, they are trying to get any sort of update they can on when they can get a refund if they cant make the new dates. Not to mention the IL Governor already said that no events over 50 are happening this year, so the new dates are most likely going to be cancelled. They also did not bother to mention how the money would go to help the staff. It comes off as the festival trying to take more money from fans without giving them any sort of update on the event they already paid for.

This problem could have been easily avoided if they would have posted something along the lines of “As we work to resolve ticketing questions and issues, we thought we would doing something fun to help support our staff during these unprecedented times. We are putting together a “virtual festival” to help support the artists and hard working folks that make Summer Camp happen. Thank you for your ungoing support and patience.” Then boom, no one would be pissed. Especially if they asked for donations (which would have probably earned more money, i would donate in a heart beat) than asking for a flat fee.

6 Likes

Really well said. Their execution definitely left a lot to be desired.

i’m hung up on the fact that it is being billed as a 20 year restrospective… and not a 17 year retrospective.

Tl;dr. Go back to lurking.

2 Likes

Welcome to the bort! Fuck off

2 Likes

I work in the wastewater division of the department of public works.

FWIW I’ve been to summer camp and will never pay to go again. I had a great time and I loved the lineup but in the world of festivals it leaves a lot to be desired. I’ve been to canopy club. I also enjoyed the shows I’ve seen there but I have no interest of returning to the canopy. Didn’t care for the venue or the layout.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

You must be a blast at birthday parties!