Sturgill Simpson

I’m glad he mentioned that bit about joining a band, I’ll listen to his music forever but I would love if he continued to play live.

He already went over 5 albums technically, but the fact that he doesn’t count Sound & Fury just makes me respect him more.

High Top Mountain
MetaModern Sounds in Country Music
Sailor’s Guide to Earth
Sound & Fury
Cuttin’ Grass Vol. 1 & Vol. 2
The Ballad of Dood and Juanita

What does he say about that album? Fever dream that we should all probably forget?

It was during a interview for the Cuttin’ Grass albums that he mentioned not counting it, I believe.
That it was a concept soundtrack album and not fully derived from the depths of their own creativity.

edit: He counts S & F

1 Like

botched that big time. I let my mind believe what I wanted.

He doesn’t count Cuttin’ Grass because it’s not his band and regular musicians.

1 Like

huh… Probably my favorite record of his at this point

Really? I prefer high top and metamodern to CG

1 Like

Cuttin’ Grass is my jam.

1 Like

Admittedly don’t know High Top. I like Metamodern a lot. Back and forth between that and CG.

CG is just reworked songs from other albums. I love it but have a hard time discussing it in comparison to the others.

Metamodern > Sailors Guide > High Top > Sound and Fury

I need to listen to this new one a few more times before knowing where to slot it in.

1 Like

Maybe I’m just not really a Sturgill fan in general

UM covered Sturgill’s ‘Call To Arms’ during the NYE 2016 run in Chicago, it was epic and is what turned me on to Sturgill. Also he has been on JRE before

1 Like

On second listen I really don’t think I enjoy this one all too much. None of the songs really grab me as all that interesting and the intro and epilogue are annoying enough to really catch me off guard.

I’m a much bigger fan of the more interesting stuff of MSCM and Sailors Guide. I respect that this is a continuation of the stripped down style he did with Cuttin Grass but it’s kinda meh.

This review of the new Sturgill record cracked me up.

6 Likes

Hahah that gave me a full belly laugh

1 Like

He’s right about those dangers, let me tell you.

thomas knows all

1 Like

This is an interesting one, though not something I’m going to relisten to all that much. I do love the fact that he set out to make 5 albums around the journey of a soul, stuck true to it (again not counting CG because they were sort of “reworked greatest hits”), and now he says he’s done as a solo artist. Is that true? Doubtful, but he called his shot over 7ish years and will probably do something more full-band/collaberative for awhile. He just bucks the trend at every turn while staying true to himself. I feel like …probably going to get heat for this… but I feel like there’s a similarity with him and Steely Dan in the sense that there’s this element of dark sarcasm where yeah, they’re sticking within the genre of what you would more or less expect, but they don’t really give a shit about anything except what they want to do, and they buck a lot of trends. There’s just a hell of a lot of layers once you start peeling back the veneer.

Sound & Fury proved he did what he wanted to do and didn’t care what anybody thought.

1 Like

Probably for the best cause it kinda sucked

1 Like

but it let us know nobody was in his ear advising him.

1 Like