Steven Wilson

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_8yjtkTitsA

Finally gave this a listen. This is fucking awesome. Top tier PT.

Anyone here order the vinyl? Wanted to wait for the release before I made a decision.

Yeah I have one on it’s way. I’m gonna wait for it to listen

I’ll pick it up at my local shop sometime this weekend.

Gave the album a listen this morning. I really liked it but I’m waiting to form a fuller opinion until I’ve listened a few more times. Also looking forward to listening to the atmos mix.

1 Like

So, what do y’all think?

I’m really enjoying it after two car listens. Sounds like pretty classic PT to me, but can hear some influence from SW’s solo stuff. Excited to do a real headphone listen this week

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. It sounds exactly what you’d expected from PT after SW made The Raven and HCE.
So I’m enjoying it. Chimera’s Wreck is a beast of a song.

I’ve given it a good 5 or 6 listens in the car but have yet to do an active listening session. There is something that is keeping me from 100% loving it, not sure what it is. Maybe it doesn’t feel like a cohesive album to me? It’s a collection of songs that all kinda have the same vibe. One thing about SW’s solo work that I love is the heterogenous yet cohesive vibe to the albums. Maybe this is because they wrote the album over a disjunct 11 years? Or maybe I’m being nit-picky and more listens will fix it.

Also, the verse in Dignity is giving me serious Kiss From a Rose vibes…

1 Like

God dammit I’m not gonna ever unhear this now. In regards to Dignity though, that guitar solo and the tone is such a classic P Tree vibe to me. I love Wilson’s playing so much. I got goosebumps the first time I listened.

I like the new music a lot. Ive only had the time for one complete listen but initial thoughts are strong. I’d agree that it feels like a collection of songs and there isn’t a cohesive sound or vibe.

3 Likes

This album is about as good as we could have reasonably hoped for from PT in 2022. I’m quite pleased.

Dignity is very HCE-ish in both tone and lyrics, and yes, I suppose it has the same time signature and tempo as Kiss from a Rose :slight_smile:

Herd Culling is probably my favorite. Classic PT with the riffs and textures. I was lukewarm on Of the New Day when it came out, but it fits super well in the context of this album, so that may be my #3 now behind Herd and Chimera’s.

2 Likes

I think it’s more that the harmony is similar, if not the same in that section. And the melody is also very similar, at least on a couple of the phrases.

Holy shit.

Listened to C/C on my atmos system. It’s stellar. Like, I’m blown away. Best parts are not the big proggy riffs but the quiet sections, hearing the soundscapes from Richard, with Steven’s newfound interest is bass (at least since last PT) + guitar, and Gavin being Gavin is just so much fun. Steven has gotten so fucking good at mixing.

3 Likes

New album is great. Has some elements of old school PT on it and has Gavin Harrison grooves all over. Love it.

Anyone going to the Denver show? I’m planning a work trip for a conference that week and trying to see if I can swing getting in earlier to catch this show.

1 Like

@jazzprogfan

1 Like

I’ll be there!

I’m still salty that I can’t make any of these. It’s feasible for me to hit Chicago but I’d have to change some plans by a day or two.

1 Like

I wasn’t expecting to catch any of them and wouldn’t have even realized I have this opportunity if not for looking at jambase for the week I’ll happen to be in Denver. It’d work out quite well if I can make it.

2 Likes

I didn’t even realize Chicago was a slight possibility for me until I looked at their tour dates again after you posted. I’ll be driving from CO back east those few days.

2 Likes

I love JamBase for this. I’ve caught so many great shows while traveling.

3 Likes