Requested songs

I would never ask although I’d love the opportunity to. I would try to make it as fan and band friendly as possible. We’re still a couple years away from that. My goal is to hit 500 around the 20th Anniversary of seeing UM in the summer of 2024…it’s gonna be tough as I’ll be at 468 at the end of the year and my opportunities to see shows are much less now that I’m getting married and have to take time off to do other vacations with the soon to be “wife”.

13 Likes

Asked Joel for Robot World for my 50th show and they played it that night while I was getting a beer

2 Likes

For my 100th on 8/10/17, I DM’d Joel a few requests on twitter to try and give them some options. They ended up playing Draconian, which was hardly a rarity but I hadn’t seen it yet at that point in time. It was also @nsl’s 100th and they played Blue Echo as one of his requests and Joel gave us a shout out beforehand.

Before 6/1/17, I tweeted at Joel that it was the 40th anniversary of Sgt Pepper’s and that they should do something for it. They ended up playing the title track reprise to end the encore.

There have been other occasions where I’ve asked for things that did up being played, but there was no direct acknowledgement so it may have been coincidence.

1 Like

What was the date, iydmma?

That 8/10 show looks pretty tight.

Mall parking lot rager. Great night minus the beer token set up.

I don’t remember what I requested for my 50th, but it was something pretty standard. He replied that they already had the set list written and that they already had a treat planned which was headphones and snow cones with the opener which was a vibe player and trombone player.

For my 100th I requested a hbb or fearless, which did I got the hbb.

My wife emailed Joel for my birthday show request but it was kb’s daughters birthday and they were there for one of the chicago ‘21 drive in shows, so I didn’t they a shout out or anything.

6/29/18

1 Like

got the haunt for my birthday on 6/28/14

got the bottom half + shoutout for my birthday on 6/28/15

got the haunt + shoutout for my birthday and 100th show on 6/29/16.

4 Likes

^this dude must love Umphrey;s

8 Likes

I requested a cover of John Cage’s 4’33" and the band played it between the 2nd set and encore that night.

4 Likes

I didn’t get my 100th or 200th requests, but for my 300th I got a Tinkles > Masoka Tanga > Tinkles > Masoka Tanga > Tinkles. It was one of the 2018 St Paul shows

12 Likes

I’d probably stop seeing them

3 Likes

I’ve gotten a bunch of requests granted because I’m amazing and best friends with BB and have been #backstage

7 Likes

I think my 200th was Remind Me > Hang Up Your Hang Ups > Remind Me, in the summer that Remind Me came out. That would have been so sick

3 Likes

fuck it I just wrote Joel and requested this again

4 Likes

It helps if you’re a VFJ rail rider regular and/or female

3 Likes

I have an ongoing spreadsheet with stats from the last 25 Michigan shows. All of the songs played and how frequently they get played. At this point of my UM career, I don’t make it to many shows besides the shows in-state. Before each one, I’ll send Joel some ideas which are usually just 4-5 songs that haven’t been played in Michigan in a while. He’ll fit 1-2 of them in every time.

5 Likes

#UM

5 Likes

I usually just tweet joel but @cshore had to learn the 13 Days solo in order to get a request in

3 Likes