RC: CaliforniaUM

Everyone come to Vegas for Billy Strings
@OSUmBeaverPhreak

2 Likes

I read on PT that Terrapin Crossroads is closing down so doesn’t look like we will get another chance to see Umphrey’s there. That’s a bummer since that venue was one of a handful of small rooms they still play. Oh well hopefully we get a proper multinight run at the Fox next time they come to the Bay!

I’d be kind of surprised about this. That place is a big hit and has become a San Rafael establishment.

I thinks it’s idiotic to book a show there unless it was a standalone show before or after a fest performance in the NW. Having a limited cap venue as part of the normal California run is stupid as fuck when they claim they’re trying to build a base.

Sounds like the lease is up and they are going to build a Jeep dealership there. Read the November shows are cancelled and the restaurant will close by end of October. Could all be hearsay so take it FWIW.

And I agree @ominousbeanbag it should be at least like those Beacon stands where they’d add the Brooklyn Bowl show as a bonus fan appreciation rather than making it one of the eight or twelve stops west of Denver for the year.

Especially when 3 of those stops are usually in Colorado still

1 Like

Yeah that’s why I specifically said west of Denver it irks me so much when the Aspen run is included in the “West Coast” dates. I did the first show there in 2010 for $30 and have no interest in going back so many other cool mountain towns they could play for us but they won’t.

1 Like

The funniest part of UM is for a band that’s so conservative and afraid of risks they don’t even do shit that makes sense in their world of fear like 3 night runs at the Riverside.

It seriously fucks with me that they don’t seem to understand that when they book multiple nights in one venue people like me who live in places they never play are more likely to travel. Whoever decided they should stop booking Vegas is stupid as hell. And if they do come back they need to be smarter than booking it during March Madness when hotels are insanely expensive

Can’t be disappointed if they never come to town

1 Like

No offense to anyone who does this but I’m not going to fly to the Midwest to drive around flat bullshit to watch aborted jams

The only scheduled November show was Dispatch who canceled their entire tour. We’ll see. Apparently their lease is 15k a year. They make that in probably two nights with a decent act.

1 Like

I agree with all of this. It blows my mind the UM seems to never even entertain a multi-night run out west. The last one we had was the Vegas UM Bowl? If they did three nights at the Oakland Fox I bet they would sell out all three due to people traveling for it. Then add in an “intimate” fourth night at Terrapin or The Independent or something.

Fuck UM at The Independent would be amazing.

i’ve almost felt spoiled with standardtown 2 night crystal ballroom shows

1 Like

Portland was getting the love late last decade. After skipping in 2013, got one show in 2014, then a two nighter in 2015 with the weekend date selling out (think it was Thursday/Friday) then in 2016 they got another two nighter with again the weekend night selling out (think it was Saturday/Sunday that year) and then the market got skipped in 2017 (they did two nights in Missoula and two nights in Sandpoint) and they came back and played a Friday/Saturday night stand in 2018.

The market was skipped in 2019 to play Bend for the first time in a long time and Eugene, first time since 2013 (when they also skipped Portland.) In 2020, they played Bend>Eugene>Portland on a Wednesday>Thursday>Friday stretch and didn’t even sell out Portland. Bend was like 800 capacity and Eugene wasn’t much more, maybe 900-950 capacity with neither selling out. The Crystal Ballroom is like 1600 capacity so even if the other Oregon shows were stealing tickets from the traveling crowds of those cities, it seems like they regressed in Portland when they couldn’t sell out a Friday night after doing three two night stands in recent years leading up.

I don’t even want to talk about how they’ve fared in Seattle but it seems like they’ve given up there too.

What sucks now is that since COVID has pushed back all these dates, are we actually going to see winter west coast tour in 2022 or will they try to sprinkle the tour around Northwest String Summit end of July. I would love July outdoor dates but I don’t want to lose any opportunities prior to ten months away if that’s how it is going to be.

Luckily I think I’m headed somewhere east next August so I’ll be located closer to the hubs of Denver, the NE, MW, and SE to scratch my itch more often along with cheaper airfare.

The postponements and cancellations are back breakers. It’s going to be 3+ years since the last CA shows by the time they make it back. West coast might start getting the DB treatment from UM. Where CO is the best we can hope for. Which means I might see UM once a year.

Yeah, looks like High Sierra in 2019 (7.6.2019) was the last California date. Las Vegas has been starved even longer, with no shows since 3.17.17 IIRC.

I did the second Vegas UMBowl and caught them at the Hard Rock Theater in 2014 and both times were great Vegas experiences. They need to play for destination runs. Vegas and the Bay Area are places people love to visit so why not capitalize on them with three night runs occasionally. Miami, while cool to see them take a chance, seems like a poorly timed option. Flights are so expensive from the West Coast and with the California dates getting cancelled the day before because of COVID exposure, I don’t care where they are playing if I can’t get Southwest flights for a reasonable price I’m not going to make it with that kind of gamble.

2 Likes

Hell, even a 2- or 3-night run in LA in Feb/March or October/November would be pretty sweet for the Midwesterners or NEers who want to get away to some better weather…

1 Like

i had a blast at the pair of japan relief shows in san fran in march 2011

1 Like