Random, Spontaneous Thoughts about UM (Part Poo)

My argument is dumb

1 Like

Your agument shouldve been Tribulations. Or Virtual Insanity.

I’ve seen SOYCD 7 times and would die a happy man if I never saw them play it again

5 Likes

Love it, then again don’t think I’ve ever heard it live

Not going but buddy with extras let me vote.

Tossed bort a couple all improv and raw stewage votes

Edit: wrong thread. Well, kinda. Still works.

3 Likes

Having to see UM cover Cheap Sunglasses or Hollywood Nights multiple times sucks because it reminds me they have awful taste in music.

4 Likes

What are the quarters?

ZZ Top Covers
Motley Crue/Def Leppard Covers
Lyrical Stew Mashups
Bayliss Ballads

13 Likes

So far

S2 vs All Improv

ANW vs Raw Stewage

Pretty sure thats all they have released so far

Imagine buying tickets and you get S2/All Night Wrong and not All Improv/RS

4 Likes

Beat @Random_Ass to the punch. Can I get a m/?

6 Likes

m/

3 Likes

In what world do they think people really care about finding more Easter eggs so that 5 people can win an “AFAF Prize Package”?

At least with the Mantis release tiers it was stuff that benefited everyone.

1 Like

I entered cuz the signed guitar would be badass. Alas…

Pretty cool to see it acknowledged. Long may it continue

21 Likes

What exactly do we think Joel means by “recent breakthroughs surrounding the concept of live group modulations”? I mean, they’re a jamband so isn’t “live group modulation” just a fancy way of saying exactly what they do?

I’m also not a musician or musically-inclined so I literally know nothing.

3 Likes

They had to remind BB that they are indeed still a jam band after Bayliss said:

“The jamming thing is where our roots were,” Bayliss says, “playing live shows, not having enough material and having to fill time to get paid.”

3 Likes

It’s under the umbrella of jamming but he’s talking specifically about when they are playing in a given key and, after switching to another chord in that key, staying on that chord to establish it as the new root.

3 Likes

Bayliss dropped acid for the first time in 13 years.

12 Likes

The “not caring about getting back, more where we’re going” is why I think we’ve seen some more of the “type 2” jamming this summer - straying outside the song structure/chord progression, which, I think the hardcore followers of this band who go to see them all the time, have been clamoring for for a long time. It ups the unpredictability of the songs and sets.

There’s more risk taking involved because when you stray that far, you either come together with the rest of the band to really make something beautiful, or you can fall flat on your face and its near unlistenable. But with a band like UM and the musicianship they all have, the juice is worth the squeeze IMO.

9 Likes