Random, Spontaneous Thoughts about UM (Part Poo)

Around the time mantis came out I feel it got a lot of hate, until they started to open it up. I love it

1 Like

According to Strunk and White, you add on 's no matter what.

But according to AP’s style guide, leave off the final s for proper nouns ending in s.

So :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

The Bort was very anti-Red Tape at first. Spires, too. Funny how those two songs would probably be right up there with Mantis nowdays for songs we want to see live off that album

8 Likes

I haven’t seen a Spires since Mantis ter, would definitely love to catch one soon.

10/28/2010 all day every day

3 Likes

I haven’t been listening to any UM lately. Gonna throw this on.

That 2-night Canopy run was great. That Spires jam is probably tied for the best opening song jam I’ve seen live (12/28/2013 Junk is my other winner).

2 Likes

It’s already possessive (implying ownership of a McGee?), so even though we like to shorten the band name in discussion to Umphrey’s, it doesn’t make sense as it is in any sort of grammatical context, so this discussion is pretty ridiculous to start. Or shit, is it a contraction? Umphrey is McGee.

That being said, typically for a sentence with two possessives, you do add apostrophes to both nouns where appropriate

Fux’s guitarist’s guitar isn’t a fretless bass

So if we were talking about Umphrey’s McGee, I think we’d always type Umphrey’s McGee’s to make it possessive. Brings us back to using Umphrey’s as an abbreviated form, which doesn’t make any sense from the start, so it’s not really worth arguing about. Seems to be one of those odd grammatical cases where it’s best to avoid the issue altogether and just say something like:

It’s Can’t You See by Umphrey’s

5 Likes

I love Spires

7 Likes

Jesus is Lord.

Agreed.

2 Likes

Yep, all about being buried, which i assume is a metaphor for the divorce. There’s great tension in the lyrics. Love it.

Also, red tape high wire was probably the hardest lyric to decipher. I had no idea what the hell he sang after red tape. At first, I thought it was red tape unwinds, but high wire is a much better metaphor for the pain/confusion/self-deprecating hope that can come from a breakup.

I love Red Tape, I remember thinking the studio version was overproduced and cheesy when it first dropped though. Turned my opinion around on the song fairly quickly, awesome one to catch live

3 Likes

Looking back on it now, what I love about Mantis is that after a bit of a rough roll out for most of the songs live, they almost all ended up being tunes I love hearing at shows. 1348, Red Tape, Mantis, Spires, and CW2 consistently have brought really great improv. M2M and CWI are both really strong standard tunes. And while T&R never got a ton of play, T&D can be a monster. It’s a record that’s great in studio and live.

11 Likes

I absolutely loved Mantis when it came out. I remember it being pretty well split though because it was such a deviation from the others

2 Likes

Great point - there isn’t a cringe or throwaway song on the album. It’s strong front-to-back.

4 Likes

I really like Prophecy Now

5 Likes

With all this Mantis talk I went back and relistened to the demo bonus tracks on spotify which I forgot existed. Extremely minor thing, but just a heads up @jwelsh8 the titles for Mantis demo and CWI demo are flip flopped.

In hindsight I should have called the thread “electric boogaloo”

5 Likes

(Part Poo: Electric Boogaloo)

3 Likes