Random, Spontaneous Thoughts about UM (Part Pee)

If the cover produces a good jam, fine. Hence why I like Flippy Floppy. Great song and usually a fun jam!

You know what I hate a lot more than covers… the fucking DMV. Where im sitting right now getting angry about covers.

2 Likes

I didn’t mean literally once. But what are they at, 3,000+ shows? and we can count on our hands the shows with absolutely spectacular encores?

1 Like

Counter point - when a cover starts in the encore, I’m relieved because I know I can leave, beat the rush for a cab, and go drink something other than an overpriced shitty beer/drink.

These days, 99% of encores are standard town. I don’t care what’s played during the encore because I’m leaving after S2.

3 Likes

Kzoo 2012 August is most underrated UM encore

fucken love the DMV. get stoned and watch people get angry or not have the proper documents. lot’s of times I get to see people try and pull a fast one on the workers and it’s the best.

Met Roquan Smith at the DMV, too. Good times at the DMV for me.

3 Likes

Ha, true. Most encores suck, tho. Phish THANK YOU was a blast to see, but its not objectively good. 10/16/21 Carini is the most satisfying encore I have seen for a band I love. Have seen maybe 10 encores worth remembering in probably well over 1000 shows in my lifetime. That is why i always leave shows early unless im with someone who wont let me.

2/14/09 Low

1 Like

Same. I don’t get the appeal of encores.

Tbh, the only thing that would get me to stay for an encore these days would be a cover I haven’t heard before or an UM bust out.

1 Like

I’ve left three UM shows early in my career of seeing UM shows. 10.15.13 NoHo (kicked out for having blow on my nose), 2.26.20 (kicked out for hitting a vape in Oregon…smh), NWSS 2022 (group I was camping with bailed right before Phil’s and I left with them.) Usually I’m the last person in the venue hanging out by the tour bus trying to get my merch signed.

2 Likes

I hope for your sake UM never covers this.

https://youtu.be/5M_jh4CA8a8

2 Likes

Well that would make my DMV experience much more enjoyable

1 Like

it was hilarious

2 Likes

That’s fucking awesome!

BEAR DOWN BABY

1 Like

Thanks for lightening up the mood here.

Football > Umphrey’s

Speaking of football… I really wish I had football friends in Charlotte. This weekend I just want to football > stream UM with friends but have no friends lol

i love me some covers. it was a huge part of what got me interested early on.

aside from anytime they want to do talking heads, police, steely dan, i’d love to hear the following again -
its about that time, cherub rock, ETI, waiting room, jane says (if it counts, since it is usually just a portion), senor mouse, willie the pimp and dirty love, a go go, yyz

1 Like

I’m in

We took my buddy’s mom to Ravinia and she was pissed when she found out they weren’t a cover band. We told her they were “like a cover band”

1 Like

I had no idea what Waiting Room was when I got it. People were going nuts and I was just lost. Maybe that’s one reason I don’t enjoy their covers? I don’t know a decent amount of them

99.9% of encores are forced and just flat out lame. Walk off stage > no one cares to clap or cheer > walk back on stage 2 minutes later > play standard af song > end show

1 Like

when i saw them open with waiting room at my second show, 6/26/2002, i had no idea, but loved it. went back home and looked into it and found out it was fugazi who i had never listened to, but my roommate was suggesting i listen to the album ‘13 songs’ but i just kept putting it off. who would have guessed that was a great album? oh yeah – my roommate

thank you UM for introducting me. same goes for those jazz tunes, IATT and senor mouse.

i didn’t know cherub rock or ETI either, but i love UM’s covers of them.

i dont see ‘not knowing’ a problem, personally

1 Like