Random, Spontaneous Thoughts about UM (Part Pee)

Why am I in an Umphrey’s McGee thread? Who the fuck tagged my @ass into here. Had this shit muted.

1 Like

Seeing UM cover Release after my best friends brother had just OD’d is one of the most powerful concert experiences I’ve ever had.

21 Likes

Can’t say I’ve given them an extensive listen, but the little I’ve heard of spafford just sounds like stereotypical jam bandy stuff.

1 Like

Very sad but doesn’t surprise me given the past year. Trying to figure out which shows to hit. Leaning towards Baltimore and Philly. Wish I could do them all

Never forget.

10 Likes

jam bands suck.

2 Likes

I like improg

This is what makes it worse for me. I’ve been waiting to see them live again for a few years now, especially after they were crushing 2019-pandemic. But it’s during our kids spring break and we’ll be on a vaca. Or I’d see you there. UGH!

Youre not wrong. New dude is giving them a bit lf their own sound, tho. The most appealing thing for me has always just been BMoss is really good at being a noodle machine.

Fair. I was very happy to get a release in wilm and Home I guess but there were 5 covers in that show :exploding_head:

Go to Raleigh tonight

Thats excessive and I get your point. UM is a weird band to like if you dont like seeing covers though.

3 Likes

If that’s the guitarist, that’s what I noticed most. Just sounded like aimless noodling.

1 Like

lol

I do like covers… from a cover band. My dads Bob Dylan tribute band crushes it.

The only song I knew at my first show was Let’s Dance. Covers help get you sucked in then once it all clicks you no longer need the covers. For me anyway. It’s not like they have 30 original songs and need to fill shows

Couple in front of me at Billy in Saginaw this past fall were 100% finger banging right in front of everyone. I’ve never seen two people so obviously high on molly. The girl kept waiving glowsticks in everyone’s face until one of my friends took it and threw it into the crowd. The bro got super aggressive for a second then went back to dry humping his GF.

They were also chain smoking cigs the entire time, just all around annoying people

3 Likes

Umphrey’s has a ton of great covers. I love the Police, Steely Dan, and Talking Heads takes the most.

That being said, I love the recent stretches of no covers or limited covers. Seeing Under Pressure at Red Rocks was a treat but when they make them rare it’s even better.

7 Likes

What are the best cover jams of all time? I think I suffer attendance bias on this one, but I really loved the 3X/Robot Rock mash up in 2008 at the Warfield. Also, Hey 19 from 10.7.09 will always be one of my favorite versions.

1 Like

They just seem to misplace them all the time or pick really bad ones. Encore covers are what realllllly piss me off. End first set with one, ugh fine. Why are you ending your show with a song that’s not yours and also sucks