Random, Spontaneous Thoughts about UM (Part 1)

I can’t wait to waste all my money on posters again. The pile under my bed needs more.

4 Likes

Same

Pete Schaw and Justin Santora are two of my favorites.

Nicholas Moegly is an awesome up and comer that did last year’s UM Nashville print.

3 Likes

Anyone collect art other than show prints?

I have no pics and they’re all in storage in another state but I have 100+ kachinas for when I someday settle down.

Things I don’t give a shit about:

-Posters
-Umphreys

2 Likes

You better CHILL with those comments if you ever want to open for Tetramono BRO

1 Like

Heard y’all were canceled

Wrong band

Fucking loved that group. So many fucked up posts … it was amazing.

The studio version of The Linear, or let them listen to Live At The Murat. Live At The Murat is what sealed the deal for me.

2 Likes

Murat is correct. I was in the “they’re fun live but how do you listen to this band casually” territory after seeing them for my first drug band run. Then I found that recording and it was done deal.

Murat kind of bugs me. There are some really good versions on there, and I get what they were going for: a “live album” a la “A Live One!” or “Without a Net” that compiles performances into an album rather than just releasing a show, but having listened to tons of shows on the archive this release just made me shrug, even though I definitely bought it on CD. I get that a lot of borters feel the same way about the Hall of Fame releases but I think those stand up better as “live albums” compared to Murat. Would probably be a good entry point for a n00b though.

1 Like

Yeah, like I said, Murat was my starting point and was a great intro to the band. But after the numerous shows I’ve listened to, Murat is almost a moot point. By the same token, I’ll take any Phish show over A Live One.

Im still so salty that theyve never released the “leftover” songs from those shows. The sound quality of those recordings are awesome, especially the vocals. I remember reading on The Floor about how many mics they had on stage (30+?) during that run.

I remember wanting to hear the HBB and Liquid since it had that repeated stew in it

2 Likes

The kitchen from the Murat is so good!

2 Likes

It really is. Composed or not, that whole buildup during the acoustic segment starting at 2:30 is great but that big release at 3:59 is honestly one of my all time favorite UM moments.

Murat was also the “album” that I listened to a ton the helped get me into the band. But later on it was like “huh, what a run of the mill choice” for a compilation.

The Hall of Fames are different… the Murat is a specifically placed collection but only from 2 nights to represent a “typical” live show, whereas the HoF are best of the best compilations. If you were a young’UMin and listened to only a HoF release I feel like you’d be pretty disappointed at a show.

1 Like

That’s a great point!

Agree, though I do have a soft spot for “A Live One!” since it actually was my entry point to that band and some of those versions are so good and committed to my memory from repeated listens back in the day when the CD player in my car was where my music was coming from.

tl;dr A Live One!/Murat => Pretty good live albums from bands that don’t need live albums!

1 Like

Oh man, I don’t know if I could even handle a show where every song is a HoF-certified jam. It sounds good in theory but probably exhausting! You need some peaks and valleys sometimes.