Random, Spontaneous Thoughts about UM (Part 1)

Bet fam

Alright, here’s what’s in the binder. Some pretty cool shit, now that I am really digging through it. A couple of head-scratchers that I’ll need some help with insight/info for. I won’t have the time until early next week to go through and see what’s already on Archive and what isn’t, but if someone else wants to check until then, go for it.

01/28/99 - State Theater, South Bend

02/06/99 - Ripley’s Alive, Cincinnati

07/25/99 - Deadcreek Campgrounds, Noblesville. ATU says this is the first time that Sweetness was played.

08/20/99 - Martyr’s, Chicago

10/29/99 - All Hallow’s Eve Eve, Madison Oyster Bar Warehouse, South Bend

12/04/99 - Brother Jimmy’s, Chicago

01/29/00 - Martyr’s, Chicago

04/07/00 - State Theater, South Bend

04/14/00 - Martyr’s, Chicago

06/15/00 - The Vogue, Indianapolis

06/23/00 - State Theater, South Bend

07/21/00 - Martyr’s, Chicago

10/06/00 - Park West, Chicago

10/31/00 - Martyr’s, Chicago

11/10/00 - State Theater, South Bend

01/27/01 - The Vic, Chicago

Fall 2000 - Sampler? Contains song labeled “R2D2”, which is the instrumental end section of Out of Order with a ton of added “bleeps and bloops” from Joel once the funky guitar hits. Also contains August but, for some reason, it’s labeled as “D’Augustino” on the CD sleeve. Kind of funny, because the intro of this August totally plays around with the Pop Tart/No Comment main theme. No idea what show it’s specifically from though.

11/05/05 - Music Mill “Marlboro” Show. This is another one that is a head-scratcher to me. It’s not listed as a setlist on ATU and I am assuming this is the old venue in Indianapolis called The Music Mill. It closed down years ago, but ATU doesn’t have this venue listed either. If I were to guess, maybe it was some sort of guest list/promotional show for Marlboro? Hell, idk. The very beginning has Joel introducing the band name and “hope you guys enjoy the music”. Jake then rips into a funky ass Bright Lights. His '04-'05 Bright Lights intros were the fucking best.

3 Likes

@UMFree looks to me like the following are not on the archive:

01/28/99
08/20/99
12/04/99
06/15/00
07/21/00
11/10/00

Pretty damn cool

3 Likes

Very cool! Hope to check out some of those '99 shows if you’re able to upload them to the Archive.

1 Like

Between the YYZ fakeout and the Proverbial wildcard, UM is certainly playing some blueball teases lately. Will say though, the lyrical portion of Proverbial is hilarious.

they’ve done that yyz fakeout a lot; to the point to where when i saw them actually play it live i was sure it was just another fakeout for way too long haha… same thing has happened to me with roundabout a few times

maybe wrong thread but re: Proverbial, i just looked and i’ve gotten 3/5 of them… had no idea it was such a rarity. also have been lucky enough to catch the last two YYZs

Yeah, you’re right. YYZ has been teased in the middle of a tune or as an intro fake out 9 times since it was last played in full. Guess I hadn’t realized how often the tease pops up.

Yeah, that NYE '18 run they played YYZ and Roundabout. It was fucking weird

Feel like a newb here but I need some context on wtf was going on with the lyrics over Proverbial there. That went right over my head whatever that’s from

1 Like

I have 100% no idea

Fucking terrible whatever it is

Some really good ones there. I remember listening to 01.28.99 a lot back in the day. If you need help with anything, let me know. I’d love to revisit these . . .

1 Like

Cool! I’ve never uploaded anything to Archive before so i may have some questions. But ill look it over tomorrow and see if I can figure it out okay

IIRC Joel once said the band doesn’t even know what “Proverbial” is and refer to it as “potato” because of how those words rhythmically fit.

No wonder it never gets played… haha

1 Like

I remember them talking about that (maybe at summerschool?) Potato is the onomatopoeia of the riff

jajunkification

Anybody know if the Jajunk shirt is still for sale?

3 Likes

Those are some quality posts about Proverbial.