Janky Dreads - The Hip Hop Thread

Ludacris’ Word of Mouf is a bonafide classic.

Kanye’s run of College Dropout > Late Registration > Graduation > 808s & Heartbreak > My Beautiful, Dark Twisted Fantasy is really, really good.

Jay Z’s Blueprint 3 is straight ear candy.

Wyclef Jean’s The Preacher’s Song is a real fun album.

This is a banger from the People under the Stairs album O.S.T.

2 Likes

Not a Kanye or Jay-Z fan at all.

Thought about throwing Word of Mouf on that all time list. But I felt it was more nostalgia than good lol. Love that album.

Agree with @ApostropheTH that a lot of good hip hop doesn’t come from albums. Mixtapes back in the day were almost always better than albums.

2 Likes

Word of Mouf is definitely still good.

1 Like

+1 for Paid in Full, and Jurassic 5.

1 Like

me neither mostly, but there are a few highlights for me. College Dropout is pretty dope as are Reasonable Doubt and The Black Album. Then there’s the Grey Album, which is definitely worth at least one spin…

Yeah, I love J5. Speaking of…Cut Chemist is the man. May not be the right thread for this but fuck it, it’s dashbort.

Listen to Brainfreeze - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist by soundchaiev on #SoundCloud

1 Like

oh, hell yes.

2 Likes

Kanye up until Watch the Throne is great, dude could produce the fuck outta some tunes. Shame he went mental.

Not the biggest Jay-Z fan either but the Blueprint 3 is just ear candy, man. It’s nothing special but damn if it ain’t easy listening. Black Album is pretty good.

fuck, totally forgot Pharcyde. Bizarre Ride and Labcabincalifornia are so good.

I can listen to any of these, anytime:

• Joey Bada$$ - All-Amerikkkan Bada$$
  • Digible Planets - Blowout Comb
  • Ludacris - Mord of Mouf
  • Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet
  • Kendrick Lamar - DAMN, Good Kid Maad City
  • A Tribe Called Quest - We got it from here
  • Gang Starr - Moment of Truth, Hard to earn
  • Kanye - Graduation
  • Run the Jewels - RTJ4
1 Like

This is a pretty solid album, quite a few interesting tracks. Browsing through this thread made me think some of yall might dig it. @ApostropheTH I think you’d be into this

1 Like

Thanks everybody. I have studying to do.

1 Like

Hot take: Drake has a better catalogue of tracks than Eminem, Em hasnt written a good song in 10 years.

1 Like

Saw a few people mention GKMC for KDot but not To Pimp A Butterfly? For shame.

Some others that I didn’t see mentioned. Andre Nickatina and Mac Dre for some Yay Area hyphy flavor. Lord Willin’ and Hell Hath No Fury; obvs Pusha T has ascended to rap royalty but he and Malice both had bars. Big K.R.I.T.'s older mixtapes; 4evaNaDay is classic for me. Das Racist for hipster rappity rap with layers and layers of wordplay and references. Dr. Octagon’s Dr. Octagonecologist (Kool Keith in general) for weird-ass, free-associative psychedelic rap. Wu-Tang’s best solo projects like Liquid Swords, Fishscale, Supreme Clientele, OnlyBuilt4CubanLinx, etc.

Could never stand Drake. Whiny voice and he’s a total bitch at Raptor’s games. Eminem made plenty of good music 20 years ago.

@3x40oz Love me some Dre Dog.was gonna post this but figured it’s a little too aggressive/hateful for the Introductory course.

Andre Nickitina - Ayo for Yayo

1 Like

relistening to TPAB is exhausting. Its a great piece of artwork, but it’s not an album I’d turn on to play again the second the last track finishes.

1 Like

I disagree. The message is heavy and everything after Hood Politics drags a little because of the narration but the first 2/3rds is unreal and I could listen to almost any single track from it at any time. Plus Blacker the Berry and i are on the back end and they rule.

1 Like

Em had a few really good albums from the late 90s - mid 00’s but, per my tastes, his sound never really evolved. I get that a lot of people dont like Drake, but he’s been able to stay near the top of the (pop) rap game for longer than Em has. Drake’s sound has been able to keep up with all of the different trends that have influenced the rap genre from the mid 00s through now.

My main argument is that Drake has much better longevity, he’s been churning out a handful of hits every year or two for the past 15 years. Eminem hasnt been relevant since like 2009.

Right on. It’s interesting how the same album can generate those different types of reactions. Again, totally not trying to undermine what K Dot was able to put together on TPAB. Just not my tastes. It definitely has a lot of thought provoking themes, the song writing just doesnt grab me like his other albums have.

1 Like

Yup, it’s art and everyone has a different reaction and enjoys (or doesn’t) in their own way. Totally see your view.

As opposed to WSP, who are fat and have no talent and shouldn’t be listened to or played anywhere outside of Georgia.

3 Likes