Greensky Bluegrass

Great times this weekend. I had a little too much fun during the day yesterday and passed out during S2. First time I’ve fallen asleep during a show.

4 Likes

the only time i fell asleep mid-show was at a moe. show. it was my first trip back to pittsburgh after graduating college and i got quite day-drunk. wasted.

11/6/04 Byham Theater -Pittsburgh, PA
1: Understand, Captain America > Seat of My Pants, Shoot First, Tailspin > Head
2: Nebraska, Bullet > McBain > Kyle’s Song, Wake Up In the Sun > Plane Crash
E: Tijuana Donkey Song, Bearsong

i fell asleep shortly after the second set started but woke up somewhere before plane crash started.

lost my wallet at that show, too. venue found it, somehow were able to get the phone number for my parents house (6 hrs away) and called them in the middle of the night to let them know that they found my wallet. i then got a call from my dad who informed me of the news.

I fell asleep hard in the Wakarusa field during Robert Randolph in 2006. Was so beat. “Fell alseep” towards the end of a UM show at the Canopy one time, too. Not one of my my proudest moments.

4 Likes

I was gonna make fun of them for trying to stay relevant but they just played a 3 night run at red rocks and sold way more tickets than um.

Still, hard pass on more sappy emograss

3 Likes

Holly Bowling should be added to the band full time. This last run of shows is the best I have ever heard them sound by a longshot. Bend, Portland and both Seattle shows are pretty awesome. Holley pretty much sits in on all the 2nd sets. Also Bend show had a full drum kit. Pretty interesting listen

2 Likes

Haven’t been a fan of the Holly collaborations yet but Bruzza on drums sounds pretty sweet.

Wednesday Greensky never disappoints.

1 Like

The two new singles they released off their new album sounds exactly like every other song Paul has written in the last 7+ years. Yawn.

Paul needs to lay off the verb’d out vocals.

1 Like

I feel like this with every band without drums. They’re all limited in range. That said, I agree. The verb’d out shit is annoying at this point. Still love Paul as a songwriter. Just wish the delivery would be more organic at times.

1 Like

I really liked their shows they were playing from about '13-'16 but haven’t really liked any of their albums they’ve released since Handguns was released. I was not a fan of If Sorrows Swim, it has a couple good songs (Demons Kerosene) but also had some really bad pop-emo-bluegrass songs, especially “Windshield” which is probably my by far my least favorite Greensky song. They should just sell that song to Mumford and Sons and never play it again.

I love ISS. Think it’s a great album. But, in hindsight, it also represents the end of the band that I fell in love with and the beginning of what they’ve become.

2 Likes

I think If Sorrows Swim is a fantastic album, easily one of my favorite “jamband” studio albums. Windshield is great on the album but I don’t enjoy it live.

basically,

Honest question. What was GSBG like before? Was it just super goofy nonsensical music?

Its odd their ability to write good songs seems to have turned so many people off.

1 Like

Very true. That album really set off their popularity, which is great, but I’m just not a fan of at least half of that album.

I saw some really great greensky shows in this time period, but the few I’ve been to since 2018 or so were ungodly boring

2 Likes

Did they jam more back then? I feel they jam more than most jamgrass bands. Was the music faster?

It might just be a personal thing, but the improv was more interesting/fresher. They leaned on crutches less

1 Like

None of them are very good musicians, so its hard to imagine them being all that different. Assuming its all songwriting based.

1 Like

Greensky was a local band playing small venues for a looong time, they could make a living touring but weren’t playing anything above smaller clubs and tiny theaters until about 2013 or so.

I was still seeing them in bars in lansing around 2012-2013, after that they really took off and are now selling out red rocks. They were still a similar band as far as their song writing and jamming (minus Anders shitty effects). My major complaint is Paul’s song writing hasn’t really evolved much in the last 10 or so years.

Started seeing them at bars in kzoo in college. They started off as a traditional bluegrass band, got into the late 2000’s “jamgrass” sound, and then morphed into what they are now.

Basically, get rid of the dobro and the verb, and that’s what they were. They wrote some amazing songs in their younger years.

Edit: this isn’t to say they haven’t wrote great songs in their older years. They have, imo.

Regarding Paul’s songwriting - I think he’s amazing with words. He has a style and stays true to it but most songwriters do this.

1 Like