Grateful Dead Shows that Steal Your Face

Our love is bigger than a Cadillac
I try to show you but you drive me back

Had to log in today and bang out a few hours of work. Threw this on while I was working:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4TW70xVkmU

Whoever compiled this mix did an excellent job.

1 Like

More primo 73
https://the-bort.com/t/i-dont-listen-to-jam-bands-anymore/3214/164?u=stringz

1 Like

Who wants more 73?!! I bet @opsopcopolis does, but he doesnt know it yet. Lets do the University of Illinois run from Feb 73
02/21/1973
02/22/1973

2 Likes

I donā€™t deny it, Donna had some terrible moments, but she also was pretty spectacular when she was on. People forget she sang background vocals at muscle shoals. When she could actually hear herself she sounds amazing.

Check out her cover of You Ainā€™t Woman Enough from the 21st of this run. The tape skip is a super bummer, but she carries it over in to Box of Rain.

It took me 30 years to come to this conclusion, but I am pretty positive that the Grateful Dead is my favorite band on the earth. I have become the stereotypical hippie, against whom I railed for so many years :man_facepalming:

2 Likes

Thereā€™s no shame in that. We all make mistakes.

2 Likes

I canā€™t say they are my favorite band ever, but man they are SO good. I took maybe a 4 year hiatus, while listening to mostly prog rock, metal, and psych rock. Just started re-listening to the dead again about 2 weeks ago and man I forgot how good they are.

I guess Iā€™ll give in and see what all the fuss about '73 is.

2 Likes

One drummer. So crisp. Start at the top with that Madison show itā€™s savage

48 years ago today, pigpen performs his final show with the band. my dad was in attendance at the hollywood bowl, and recollects that pig seemed quite weak and sluggish, leaving the stage for songs at a time.

1 Like

Pig would leave the stage a lot in '72. He really would only come our for his songs or his covers. Sad really. Pig w. The Dead is my favorite era.

1 Like

RE: 1973 - currently downloading the charlie miller source of 2/9/73 thatā€™s up on thetradersden.org

Donā€™t sleep on this fam

Take off your shoes child, take off your hat. try on your wings and find out where itā€™s at

I am selflessly listening to 73 shows day in and day out to double check my fire recs fam, and itā€™s falling on deaf ears @sociablehodor @opsopcopolis

More February on the plate today:
02/26/73

I listened to 2/21/73 last week!

1 Like

And ā€¦

We should do a Bort listening club or something I will accept other years.

enjoyed it. That Truckin > Eyes segment was great

Whatā€™s on the plate today?

First up letā€™s check out what made it from the University of Iowa on 2/24/73. A few of the reels are missing, but what they captured is heat

1 Like

Now that Iowa is behind us and we have covered most of february, letā€™s jump back to the end of March. We already posted the 26th, but donā€™t sleep on 3/31/73

1 Like