Grateful Dead Shows that Steal Your Face

Love the grateful dead so much, this thread needs to happen.

Lots of ears perked up when I said 73 was my fav dead year. Now I try to convince you to drink my Kool aid

@opsopcopolis @toomanypomas42 @sociablehodor @cryan024

A classic

9 Likes

Madison resident here and I’ve been to the Coliseum a bunch of times for hockey games and other events. I wasn’t alive when this show went down, but damn this is an awesome one! couldn’t imagine seeing the Dead in the Coliseum…it’s a huge cement box!

1 Like

I love '73 because that was the year they played Here Comes Sunshine and there are a bunch of great versions of that

2 Likes

12/18/73

Curtis Hixon Convention Hall - Tampa, FL

Standard upbeat first set, slip into the unknown for set two:

73 yall. im tellin ya. gem after gem after gem

1 Like

I feel bobby really pulls his weight during this time period. You can really hear him dancing around those rhythm chord voicings. Probably a combo of one drummer and the momentum of the band venturing in to more eclectic territory.

2 Likes

Say what you will about Bobby these days, but his rhythm playing was top shelf back in the day. He’s really underrated By so many people for the most part.

1 Like

I saw him and Wolf Bros back in March… He’s still fucken got it. He plays so fucken loose that it almost seems sloppy then you realize after a bit that he’s actually playing tight as fuck. He spent so many years in the pocket between Phil and Jerry that he’s got a lot of things to say these days. *

*This statement does not apply to Dead & Co.

2 Likes

Always loved Bobby’s phrasing, McCoy Tyner (RIP) was one of his biggest influences and it shows. Bobby’s approach to rhythm was very jazz influenced.

Always loved Bobby’s sound on Spring '90, very clean and audible in the mixes. Bobby can get washed out in the mix a lot of the time. Here’s 3/15/90, an absolute smoker.

1 Like

It really pains my heart to post a non 73 show. I was planning to only post 73 shows for the indefinite future, but today is may 15th and I had to post this one. Everyone talks about Cornell, Atlanta, etc but this St. Louis show gets skipped over. The Dancing is super hot. It’s my second favorite show of may 77 behind 5/25

Smoker. Have fun yall
AUD Recording

1 Like

After this, I promise I will only post 73 shows besides May 25th for the foreseeable future

2 Likes

Love that 5/25 show. I gotta say, my favorite ‘77 show came 3 days prior.

5/22/77 The first set is just phenomenal. An all time great sugaree, a great Lazy Lightning > Supplication and a great dancing in the streets. Help Slip Franklins is great but after that the best parts of this show are behind ya. If you swapped this 2nd set closer Morning Dew for the Cornell version there would be a different discussion for greatest show of all time.

For me that’s the best Dancing in the Streets. @BDJ recommendation from past borts.

1 Like

I’m a total primal Dead head. One of my go tos and favs. Love this Ark run
04/21/69 The Ark - Boston, MA
Set 1:
Hard To Handle, Morning Dew, Cryptical Envelopment>Drums>The Other One>Cryptical Envelopment
Sitting On Top Of The World, Alligator>Drums>Jam>Alligator, Doin’ That Rag
Set 2:
Foxy Lady Jam>Dark Star>St. Stephen>The Eleven, Turn On Your Love Light
Encore:
Viola Lee Blues

1 Like

i posted this in the ‘WAYL2’ thread a while back, but the look on Jerry’s face during the Franklin’s solo sums up this show for me. So great to have video, even with the flaws…

https://relisten.net/grateful-dead/1973/12/08?source=104411

Grateful Dead Live at Cameron Indoor Stadium, Duke U on 1973-12-08

Set 1

Me & My Uncle, Sugaree, Mexicali Blues, Dire Wolf, Black Throated Wind, They Love Each Other, Me And Bobby McGee, Don’t Ease Me In, The Race Is On, Brown Eyed Women, Big River, Candyman, Weather Report Suite Prelude > Weather Report Suite Part 1 > Let It Grow, China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider

Set 2

Around & Around, Ramble On Rose, El Paso, Row Jimmy, Greatest Story Ever Told-> Bertha, He’s Gone-> Truckin’-> Nobody’s Fault But Mine-> The Other One-> Wharf Rat-> Stella Blue, Johnny B. Goode-> Uncle John’s Band, E: One More Saturday Night

Been a big fan of the second set of this one since I first picked up an audience cassette back in 78. Give it a spin if you haven’t already.

2 Likes

Alright I’ll play along. '73 was such a huge year as they really packed in a lot of tunes with tight jams in set ! and then were able to take the second set '72 jams to different places. The following show gets a lot more recognition–UCLA Pauley Pav–but this one is a monster:

Grateful Dead Live at San Diego International Sports Arena on 1973-11-14

Set 1

Big Railroad Blues, Jack Straw, Sugaree, Mexicali Blues, Here Comes Sunshine, Black Throated Wind, Cumberland Blues, Row Jimmy, The Race Is On, Brown Eyed Women, Beat It On Down The Line, Tennessee Jed, El Paso, China Cat Sunflower -> I Know You Rider, Around And Around

Set 2
Truckin’ -> The Other One -> Big River -> The Other One -> Eyes Of The World -> The Other One ->
Wharf Rat, Me And My Uncle, Goin’ Down The Road Feeling Bad -> One More Saturday Night

2 Likes

Been rocking 3/29/90 this week. That sax just does it for me. Knocking on Heavens door, crushes me every… time.
https://youtu.be/GCwcaywkX64

Also love the Road Trips Vol 4 no. 2, that Scarlet > Fire is :fire:

Also I can’t recommend enough Rob Cork’s Personal Stash Podcast. So many gems this guy has. Listened to 04/14/72 this week, a beaut!

Let’s cut the bullshit, this is the best band ever.

The sax on Turn On Your Lovelight is what I love. That whole show is a gem.

1 Like

Missed the anniversary post yesterday. But 6/10/73 is an all timer for sure. Sexy as fuck from front to bac. Set 3 w/ Dickey Betts, Butch Trucks, and Merle Saunders is an absolute treat.

2 Likes

@stringz. NFA -> GDTRFB. :zap::heart::metal:

1 Like