Dream Theater

I dont really mind studio LaBrie when they can compress and over-produce the fuck out of his voice to make it more audibly pleasing. But man he is so rough live these days/the past decade

Just listen to LTE

4 Likes

Watching the Luna Park blu ray in the background during work day today and god damnit I just cannot stand Mangini and the way he sounds. LaBrie doesn’t even sound awful on this one, but mangini just constantly sounds like a robot. He sounds like programmed drums in garage band/pro tools

He does. Portnoy is a far more “melodic” drummer. It’s not even comparable.

1 Like

Seeing Jordan Rudes tonight at a jazz club. Pretty excited because I know he’s such an animal, but it’s also going to be a mix of DT, LTE, and “classic prog” songs. Gonna be a lot of notes.

3 Likes

Popped in the Score DVD for the first time in probably 5-7 years at least. Whole band obviously sounds great but I’m particularly stoked with how good James sounds on this dvd

Man, I cannot stand Mangini’s drumming/the way his drums sound on The Alien. I didn’t seem to mind him on the DoT album, but for some reason he is totally ruining this track for me

How many times will I say “i cannot stand Mangini” ITT? TWT.

2 Likes

LaBrie is so done. Very thankful we got a new LTE album because it actually lived up to the hype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0Wmg7Tq4Pk

it is his tone or the lyrics you hate? or both? i’m basically a noob to this band and i’ve made a habit out of treating vocals like synths so i don’t really see the decline or hear what you and @UMFree hear.

1 Like

I actually like Invisible Monster way better than The Alien. Like I said, I really don’t mind studio LaBrie where they can manipulate the fuck out of his voice. Its his live voice that kills me. I can still deal with it and appreciate it in order to see/hear DT live, but he had a major vocal cord rupture in the 90s and its been downhill ever since. He still has his great moments, but for the most part you just kinda gotta put up with his live voice at this point

1 Like

To be fair I’ve never really liked LaBrie. Even when he had ridiculous range. Has always been the worst part of DT for me. I always thought if they could steal Russell Allen from Symphony X they’d be set.

Ive definitely thought the same many many times in regards to Russell. But then again, I do think LaBrie is better fit for the softer side of DT (Another Day, Anna Lee, Surrounded etc.)

But god damn Russell would sound so god damn good on something like The Glass Prison or This Dying Soul

1 Like

thoughts on the new album? throwing it on now to decide if i wanna drop some coin to see them tomorrow.

Oh I’d absolutely still go see them. The setlist still always has many, many gems from the past.

I’ve only listened to the album once. I’ll certainly revisit. The long track intrigued me on first listen.

2 Likes

Good but nothing new from them

2 Likes

i’m real confused, the website says the tour was moved but it also lists the old dates still. guess they’re not here until february 2022.

Havent listened yet but ill get around to it at some point. Ill be satisfied with it if its even half as good as DoT was

REALLY like the new album and am excited for the Boston show in Feb. Have sort of “acquiesced” personally on Labrie vox over the years and they don’t bother me nearly as much as they used to.

1 Like

yeah they postponed the tour

never seen a bands website directly contradict itself like that before. and stubhub was still selling the november dates as of that post. shady!