Dopapod

Was a little buzzed last night and feeling it. After listening today, I think only the PiP holds up. Black Holes is solid, but PiP is my fav of the show.

2 Likes

7 Likes

Billy sit in

1 Like

Sorry I missed you at the show brother. Naively thought it’d be a 2 setter and I’d catch you at break.

Good energy but didn’t seem to have the juice of a normal 2 setter in terms of improv imo, esp with all the sit ins, but my immediate memory is that the Freight Train and Nerds had some nice moments. Look forward to listening back.

1 Like

That black holes is so good before Rob \mm/'d us recycling the baby one more time theme from VIP set. @gatroe knows

2 Likes

Hit me baby 3 more times

1 Like

Did they jam?

A bit, it was during the encore. I don’t know Dopa songs too well yet, but I think it was in FABA. They gave Billy a solo spot, which he killed, then he and Rob had a really fun back and forth musical dialog. I have yet to listen to Billy but the people in the front with me were freaking out.

Show was fun but @ROCTOPUSS is right, it wasn’t a standard show. One long set with lots of sit ins. George Clintons band opened, then members from that band sat in a bunch of different times. Then for Freight Train, the dummer and one of the guitarists from PPPP (not greg) came out and Rob switched to bass. Then Billy for the encore. I’m torn because the guys were having tons of fun, but I came to see Dopapod, not a 15 min Freight Train with Chuck and Fro standing off to the side.

Side musical nerd note: As you can see from the pic, I was right in Eli’s face. He had a keystep (midi keyboard) off to the side and I could see its display. It was blinking and showing the tempo from Fro’s drumming, changing in real time. Pretty neat. It seemed to be sending the clock to his Moog Grandmother, which he used in a jam for only a short time. He was doing an arppegiated thing that sounded cool, but stopped and signaled to Fro that it wasn’t working like he wanted.

2 Likes

I heard them return to 8 Years Ended when Billy was sitting in from a couple videos. Not sure how many songs he sat in for though

1 Like

You’re right, it was 8 years ended. I need to be a better dopafan

1 Like

Nice of Billy to pass the torch to dopapod

8 Likes

Kinda want to make a serious sounding post in r/jambands saying this

2 Likes

Do it in r/gratefuldead

8 Likes

My favorite is trolling r/Goose. Pretty sure I have negative reddit karma strictly because of that sub

11 Likes

Banned from r/phish :raising_hand_man:

5 Likes

Couple photos from last night - Chuck planting one on Billy’s cheek and Rob giving Billy a lesson on electric guitar.

6 Likes

:fire: :fire: :fire: shirt, Rob.

@ROCTOPUSS this you?

Negative

Ngl been kinda disappointed in dopapod lately, haven’t listened to the 17th 18th or 19th yet but there’s been a lot less type 2 in what I’ve listened to in the November shows…and there hasn’t really been any super notable jams like used to happen every couple of shows

2022 has been a fire years for the boys but hope they don’t end on a sour note

1 Like