Best sets by year

Hopefully more will chime in, but here’s a thread I found

Search function your friend

Welcome!

As for Never Cease, I wouldn’t say they dropped it as much as they never really picked it up. Last time I recall hearing it was acoustic Toad’s ‘09 (great show worth checking out). It was released on the outtakes disc of The Bottom Half so I don’t think it was ever really held in regard as a song that would be played live much from them. Seems more like a Jake solo tune they messed with a few times

1 Like

Paging @Southern_Dan for recs

I’ll go ahead and say it for @cshore 1/27/2011…it has the most improv ever in a show

1 Like

1/27/11 > 11/2/11 but both top tier shows

I’ve only been listening to UM the last 5 years, but 18 and 19 are the only years I can really speak fluently about all the shows. Here’s my top 10 in order for 2019 and will see if I can report back for 2018:

8/15/19
3/29/19
7/3/19
12/30/19
8/3/19
8/29/19
1/25/19
2/15/19
3/21/19
2/21/19

2 Likes

Also gonna follow in hopes of a top 10 or 20 of 2011

I feel like 2011 wouldn’t have as much improv throughout the whole show but would always have at least one monster jam.

These are two must hear ‘11 jams that had a pretty solid debate on past Borts.

Also 9/16/11 Wappy is the best version IMO. 22 minute banger.

11/5/11 is another solid show as well. I’d throw 7/14/11 in there for the Crooked One and MO. 7/1/11 as a date sticks in my mind for some reason but I can’t remember if that’s a good one or not.

3 Likes

You guys rule, this is a great place for me to start to find awesome sets to listen to.

Sucks that I’ll probably see a Never Cease live, but that’s why we keep going to shows.

Keep going with the suggestions, they are all incredibly appreciated. This is a great community.

1 Like

We used to have a best show ever thread but it seems like it never made it over here. Any chance of finding that in the way back machine? @opsopcopolis @stringz

Also 2/21/07 has been called the GOAT UM show plenty of times over the years.

6 Likes

4/3/08 is the GOAT.

4 Likes

Good one. Huge AIT, great Tribute and Bottom Half as well.

3 Likes

Orange peel right? Top tier show for sure

3 Likes

I don’t know about the wayback machine having it,maybe @opsopcopolis could check.

It’d be sick if they did though because I did a lot of work once upon a time in my early 20s scanning tons of posts from that thread and making them in to a list.

If we end making a new thread (we def should if no way back list), then we should edit the OP as we go.

IMO Best show ever, or greatest shows of all time is a quintessential and required -bort thread to balance out our bullshit

3 Likes

Agreed. I remember that list too. Certain shows that were listed multiple times were highlighted as favorited shows. I used that a lot when I was really diving in. Looking up old UM shows makes me almost want to listen to UM again.

I can look. Any idea around when it would’ve been made?

Here’s an oddball first set that you’ll never see again. I used to revisit this one a lot. Jammed out Roulette and Morning Song is very rare.

6 Likes

I was thinking it’d be sick to do a listening club or something. Take a stroll down improv ave as a fam

2 Likes

Not sure. I’m pretty sure it was titled “Best UM show EVER?” Something like that. I miss the UMGold threads too. I loved going through those.